Chapter 169- 171

Chapter 169: Blandishments of Yuwen Feng

"My cousin just came back to the capital city earlier this day, and he has already given people reason to gossip about him by not having returned home to see his elders. If we go back like this, soon rumors will be floating around in every corner of this city, which will seriously undermine my cousin's reputation," Yuwen Feng added.

With a frown on his face, the guard thought for a few moments and replied, "Then please wait a while. I'll go inside and ask again."

Yuwen Feng felt a sense of relief. "I appreciate it."

The candid guard went through the front gate and, when he was out of the sight of those outside, rolled his eyes upwards. 'They think I'm a fool? Had the Marshal not instructed me to let them wait longer, I would never have bothered walking back here.'

A few moments ago, Ling Zhang had been woken up by the voice of the guard coming to pass word of the presence of the visitors, but he had not distinguished his words. After a while, it had fallen quiet and he had drifted off again. At this moment, he was having a dream, in which he was still in Tanyang. He was enjoying himself in the dream when he was woken up again by the voice of the guard coming to report. Sleepy, he got a little annoyed. "What's going on? Is it really too much to ask for them to let me have a good sleep?"

In the realization that Ling Zhang had been woken up twice in a row, Yuwen Tong, who didn't have the heart to let him be awoken for a third time, got out of bed, held him in his arms and patted him. "It's okay. Just go back to sleep."

Ling Zhang rubbed his head against Yuwen Tong's chest and then rolled over with his butt to Yuwen Tong.

Yuwen Tong was very much enjoying the rub given by Ling Zhang when Ling Zhang rolled over, leaving his arms empty and his heart filled with disappointment.

He felt an urge to put his arms around him and roll him over to let him rub his chest again but kept from doing so for fear that he might be woken up again.

Eventually, he resignedly straightened himself and went outside to deal with the two fools who had caused interruptions to their sleep.

...

"Cousin."

Yuwen Feng and Yuwen Qi were finally led into the residential compound and also met Yuwen Tong.

"Sit. What is it you want to see me about?" After telling them to sit down, Yuwen Tong picked up a cup of tea and took a sip.

"Cousin, why didn't you go home after returning? We waited for quite a long time," said Yuwen Qi in a reproachful tone of voice immediately.

Yuwen Qi didn't feel there was anything wrong with his tone at all. He believed that the reason why Yuwen Tong had not returned home was because that male courtesan, Ling Zhang, had bewitched him, that this was the sole reason. He had some time ago forgotten what his elder brother had reminded him of at home, why Yuwen Tong was angry, as well as the fact that he himself had been the one who went to Tanyang and threatened Ling Zhang. He had only himself to blame for Yuwen Tong's giving him the cold shoulder.

Yuwen Tong didn't even glance at him. He took another sip of tea and then put the teacup down on the table.

Seeing Yuwen Qi's somewhat sulky face, Yuwen Feng hurriedly said, "Cousin, you and Childe Ling must be really tired after journeying for so many days. Given that Childe Ling has just moved into this residence, there must be many inconveniences here. You and Childe Ling might as well go back home. There are more servants there. My mother could also save you much bother of dealing with domestic chores, and you can rest better."