Chapter 540- 541

Chapter 540: A Big Reunion in the Capital

It was after Yuwen Yue noticed the uncharacteristic countenance on Yuwen Tong's and Ling Zhang's faces that she came to realize she had spilled the beans. She hurriedly shut her mouth and looked at Ling Zhang, appearing somewhat apprehensive.

Yuwen Qi and all the others had shifted their gaze in this direction. Ling Zhang, not inclined to embarrass Yuwen Tong in the presence of the children, did not dress Yuwen Tong down. "Show Daddy what you've learned. If your moves are up to standards, you'll have Daddy's permission to continue learning it," he said to Yuwen Yue.

Yuwen Yue had been worried, but unexpectedly Ling Zhang not only did not tell her off but also said that he might allow her to continue learning kung fu. Her eyes instantly lit up. "I'll show you right away, Daddy!"

Yuwen Yue was into kung fu and did have a knack for it. Yuwen Tong had only demonstrated to her the couple of self-defense moves several times, but she had lodged them firmly in her mind.

As she had indeed mastered those moves well, Ling Zhang permitted her to continue to learn kung fu, but he also stressed that she must pay more attention to her manners when out of the palace, that she should at least restrain herself in the presence of outsiders.

Yuwen Yue, having been allowed to learn kung fu, was very happy and naturally promised she would behave herself. This was the reason why for a very long period following this day, this only princess of the Great Wen enjoyed a sterling international reputation for being beautiful, elegant and refined, and nobody knew that in private she was actually a tough girl who was ready to roll up her sleeves, mount a horse and go to war if the occasion arose, and whose kung fu was as good as, if not better than, that of many men.

...

After another half a month, Ling Zhaowen and Fu Caiwei, along with Ling Xiaobao, returned to the capital city. At the same time, Ling Zhaowu also came back from out of town. Apart from members of the Ling family, many officials of provincial cities and envoys of foreign countries also arrived in the capital city one after another.

Ling Zhaowen, of all prefectural officials returning to the capital, had got the most attention, outshined only by foreign envoys. Aside from him, there were also Xu Lingyun and Xiao Ziyan, a married couple, and Jiang Yu.

Ling Zhaowen was the only one in the Ling family who was pursuing a political career, and he had been doing pretty well. After the reunification of the three countries, in particular, he had requested to be transferred to a prefecture which used to be southern Wan Kingdom. It had just been subjected to the Great Wen's rule, so the people there naturally had been unaccustomed to a lot of things, and there had even been many conflicts, and some even had tried to take advantage of the unstable situation to make trouble. At that time, it had not been easy for one to perform his duty as a governor. Ling Zhaowen, however, had done a very good job. The residents in Nanhe which used to be in southern Wan Kingdom had smoothly integrated themselves into the Great Wen, and the situation in all the cities there had stabilized, and people's livelihood had been improving steadily, their sense of national identity strengthening, the gulf dissolving.

Many people in the capital city conjectured that in a few years Ling Zhaowen would be transferred back to the capital city. This, coupled with his identity as the empress's uncle, drew even more attention to him.

Xu Lingyun and Xiao Ziyan, high-ranking officials in a prefecture located in the area which used to be northern Luohai Kingdom, had been doing well in their official career as well. They had rendered meritorious service in Shengzhou and then Cangzhou, and now they had made quite some achievements in this prefecture as well. On top of that, Yuwen Tong had always valued their talents pretty much, so many people in the capital speculated that this time around Xu Lingyun would stay in the capital city after the celebration. They just wondered which position the emperor would appoint him to.