Chapter 505- 507

Chapter 505: Infiltration into Enemy Rear

It was after Yuwen Tong had his internal energy run two circuits of his meridian network that the transports of emotion churning inside him subsided.

At the sight of him walking out, Yuwen Jin, He Xiao and Xiao Jiangyue all of whom had been waiting outside the tent hastened up to him.

"Sire, are you okay?"

Yuwen Tong appeared unhurried. "I'm fine. I was just circulating my internal energy. Why are you all here?"

"We were worried something had happened to you. Yao Yi and the others wouldn't tell us anything. We were all startled."

Yuwen Jin tossed Yao Yi a somewhat reproving glance.

"I told them to keep their mouths shut because I didn't want to concern you. I didn't bargain on drawing all of you to my tent. The troops have just returned and they need regrouping. You have nothing to worry about with me. Now go and regroup the soldiers and have them settle down. Tonight we're having a meeting in my tent to formulate a plan of our next attack."

"Yes, Sire." As Yuwen Tong did look composed and well, the three of them took their leave.

Yuwen Jin, after going a couple of paces, turned on his heel, doubled back, glanced over his shoulder and, having checked that the others were out of sight, said to Yuwen Tong, "Cousin, are you really okay? You don't look very well."

Yuwen Jin, who had always been quite bluff, was being uncharacteristically observant and scrupulous on this occasion. Yuwen Tong felt that what he had done for this second cousin of his had been worthwhile.

"I'm really fine. It just so happened that I was on the verge of making a breakthrough in my cultivation of internal energy, and the murderousness in the air on the battlefield was quite intense, so my internal energy was affected a little and started churning. It'll return to normality after I circulate it another couple of times."

Yuwen Jin heaved a sigh of relief and said relaxedly, "I see. Actually you don't have to be on the battlefield every time. General Xiao and the rest of us could handle it. There's no need to concern yourself. Besides, you're now the emperor, not a general. If you go to the battleground every time, the soldiers could easily become dependent on it, and when they do, what should we do if some day it's inconvenient for you to be present at the front?"

Yuwen Tong was somewhat surprised that Yuwen Jin saw it this way. It would seem he had indeed learned a lot during the northward advance of the army. On top of that, Yuwen Jin had been doing a good job directing operations in every one of the battles he had participated in. Now he had the makings of a competent commander.

"Okay. I'll discuss your suggestion with the couple of generals and see if it's okay to let you guys be in charge of our next attack on the city. Actually I could use some rest to recharge and prepare myself for the upcoming Battle of Jifang City. Show me something in the fight and I'll make you General-in-chief after we take the Wan capital."

Gratified, Yuwen Jin smacked a hand on to his own chest. "You may rest assured that I won't let you down, cousin."

Yuwen Tong's face turned cold as he watched Yuwen Jin leave. Currently what was inside his body was still unknown, so it was indeed inadvisable for him to go to the battlefield. He had a hunch that this thing not only was capable of affecting his mood but also fed on his emotions. Before he could figure out a way to rid himself of it, his best choice was to avoid mood swings.

Yuwen Tong was confident of restraining every kind of his emotion, with one exception – his yearning for a reunion with Ling Zhang.

From the Web