Chapter 349- 351

Chapter 349: A Stroll in a Night Market

Given that Ji Yanlai had brought his nephew out of the mountains and had not disguised himself or made any efforts to cover his tracks, Yuwen Tong's speculation about Ji Yanlai's intention of putting an end to his secluded life had proved right.

It was in the afternoon on that very day that Yuwen Tong left the imperial palace and went to the Ling Mansion.

Ji Yanlai, taking his nephew with him, settled in the Ling Mansion. He was acting in a very natural and carefree manner, as though this was more of a sightseeing tour for him.

"Nobody is able to stop you now, and you've succeeded in what you set out to do. I think it's time for us to talk about our deal," said Ji Yanlai.

Yuwen Tong replied without preamble, "Brother Ji, previously you didn't name your price. Now you may be honest with me about it."

Ji Yanlai said, "We've been cooped up in the mountains too long, which is why, inevitably, many of my people feel they could use some fresh air. They want to find somewhere in the outside world to settle down. Since this whole country is now in your pocket, we naturally will need your authorization to get a place like that."

Yuwen Tong said, "The retreat in the Sanguan Mountains where your clan have been living in seclusion is like an Arcadia, but it's indeed quite boring to be cut off from the outside world for too long. Your terms strike me as understandable, but you're not the next person, Brother Ji, and given that you've asked this condition, I suppose you've already found somewhere that takes your fancy."

On hearing this, Ji Yanlai flicked Yuwen Tong a thoughtful look and then said, "You don't seem surprised at all, as though you some time ago divined what terms I'd make. Maybe you've also got a shrewd idea of which place I want."

Yuwen Tong made no reply and just gave a smile.

Ji Yanlai, who didn't mind, said, "Well, you didn't guess wrong. There's indeed a spot that catches my fancy. Rest assured, I have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in any power struggles, and I won't be so insensible as to move somewhere close to your turf and make an eyesore of myself. It's an island that I want. What with its special geographical location and surroundings, it's completely uninhabited. Also, it's not big – just big enough to accommodate my clan, actually. Us making it our settlement won't affect you in any way."

Yuwen Tong looked at him, waiting for him to be more specific.

At the sight of the expression on Yuwen Tong's face, Ji Yanlai came to know that his previous speculation had proved right, that Yuwen Tong had indeed guessed his terms beforehand.

"The island I want lies to the east of the Morning Star Island. There's a certain distance between the two. Around the island are hidden reefs and whirlpools, which makes it inconvenient for ships to approach. It's not really a fairyland anybody would dream of going to. If truth be told, my clansmen are probably the only ones capable of navigating through those underwater rocks and whirlpools unharmed and living on that island. On top of that, there are navies stationed on the Morning Star Island, who would keep watch on us for you, so there's no need for you to worry about anything."Read manga at our MangaBob.com

Yuwen Tong's face creased into a smile. "I know what you mean, Brother Ji. Since I made you a promise that day, I naturally will accept this condition of yours. Apart from nearby hidden reefs and whirlpools, that island also bristles with dense woodlands and rocks, and I'm afraid it won't be easy to make it habitable in a short time. Do you have any plans to deal with that, Brother Ji? I can offer you some help if you want."

Ji Yanlai tossed Yuwen Tong another glance and responded, "No wonder you succeeded in taking the throne. I like your straightforwardness. If you really mean to help, just tell the navy on the Morning Star Island to let us through the waters. We can build ships by ourselves, and transforming the terrain of the island is also within our power. All these are just trivial matters. Aside from instructing the navy to stay out of our way, I also need you to give my clansmen legal identities, which will be beneficial to both of us, because some day some of my people might have to leave the island to go to the mainland to attend to some business, and somebody in charge might want to check the records to find out who they are."