Chapter 289- 291

Chapter 289: Returning to Tanyang

Ling Zhang suddenly paused after finishing this remark. Both Ji Donglin and Ji Chaofang worked for Ji Yanlai, and there were some matters that he couldn't let Ji Yanlai know about, even though they had a deal. Having realized this, Ling Zhang hurriedly changed his mind and said, "Grandfather, on second thought, we should let these two kind guards stay with us."

Ji Yin noticed the look in Ling Zhang's eyes and also came to understand. "Okay, then it's settled."

Ji Donglin and Ji Chaofang didn't insist on going with Yuwen Tong. After hearing Ji Yin's decision, they appeared quite calm and made no remarks.

Yuwen Tong couldn't afford to waste any time, soon left Tongguan Town, took a shortcut to the capital city and at the same time sent a message back to Yao Yi and other bodyguards of his who were waiting in Wu City.

Wang Dashan and others had also received Ling Zhang's message which told them to return to the capital city and be at Yuwen Tong's command. After Yao Yi and the others departed, they set off as well.

...

As he was taking his father with him, Ling Zhang didn't dare travel fast and was still on the journey when Yuwen Tong and the others had reached the capital city.

Maybe because he'd spent half a month with Yuwen Tong and the latter had been carrying him on his back all the time during the part of their journey in the Sanguan Mountains, Ling Zhaowu missed Yuwen Tong and looked dispirited for some time after Yuwen Tong's departure, as though having lost a reliable companion.

Seeing Ling Zhaowu like this, Ling Zhang dismissed his worries and his longing to reunite with Yuwen Tong and focused on tending Ling Zhaowu.

"We'll enter Tanyang jurisdiction the day after tomorrow, Father. I've already sent a letter back home. Uncle must be on his way to meet us. Don't be afraid of him when you see him. It'll break his heart," Ling Zhang said to Ling Zhaowu.

Ling Zhaowu looked at him, "Uncle?"

"I mean my uncle, your full little brother. His name is Ling Zhaowen. Do you... remember?" Ling Zhang's voice dropped to a whisper when he uttered the last word. He hoped that Ling Zhaowu would remember but also feared that jogging his memory would be too intense a stimulus for his mind.

Ling Zhaowu gazed at him with a bemused expression, repeating Ling Zhaowen's name in a murmur, "Ling...Zhao...wen?"

Ling Zhang apprehensively fixed him a stare, his eyes both expectant and watchful.

Ling Zhaowu considered a spot with perplexed eyes for quite a long time. Suddenly, his countenance changed and he started to shake his head. Panting, he muttered inarticulately but in an increasingly firm tone, "Li–Little brother?"

Ling Zhang gazed at him worriedly. "Your full little brother."

Ling Zhaowu abruptly reached out his hands to grab Ling Zhang's arm and repeated urgently, "Little brother! Little brother!"

Ling Zhang gave a start, worrying that his reaction was beyond the threshold, but then he found that although Ling Zhaowu was overreacting, there was no sign of a seizure, so he gave a nod in the affirmative. "Your full little brother, Ling Zhaowen."

"Little brother!" Ling Zhaowu tightened his grip on Ling Zhang's arm and another name escaped his lips. "Zhang'er!"

He suddenly started calling Ling Zhang, and his facial expression suggested that his mood was getting out of control. Ling Zhang hastily hit a couple of acupoints of Ling Zhaowu's according to the method Mr. Mu had previously taught him. It worked and Ling Zhaowu calmed down.