Chapter 576- 577

Chapter 576: Spin-Off – Oddity (4)

Yuwen Qi's and Yuwen Lin's bruises were rather severe. Mr. Mu applied some ointment to them and then lightly kneaded their knees for quite a while.

The massage was very painful, but Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin merely gritted their teeth against the pain, not daring utter a word.

The sight of this gave Ling Xingzhong another pang of unbearable heartache.

In fact, Ling Zhang was upset as well. He had been very angry after being informed of the matter, but afterward he had forgotten about the whole thing due to his busyness. It had surprised him that the three children had been so obedient as to have been kneeling there all along until his return.

After unblocking Yuwen Qi's and Yuwen Lin's meridians, Mr. Mu said, "It's nothing serious. They'll make a full recovery after the bruises on their knees heel. They should try to avoid strenuous exercises in the next few days. Apply this ointment to their bruises and then knead their knees for a quarter of an hour every night."

Yuwen Yue's injury was relatively minor. Mr. Mu handed Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang some ointment, which was supposed to be applied to their daughter the same way it should to Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin.

Because of the three children's leg injuries, Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong decided to bring them back to the imperial palace.

Ling Xingzhong's face was still sulky when Ling Zhang took his leave. On their way back to the palace, Ling Zhang was rather quiet.

"Daddy, it's our fault, not yours. Great-grandfather's anger won't last long. Don't be upset," said Yuwen Yue beside him in a low voice as she perceived his silence.

Ling Zhang's heart softened and he felt more strongly that he had excessively punished the children. Guilt was bubbling inside him, but he showed no sign of it on his face.

He knew his daughter too well to be unaware that the little guy would become unruly if it came to her knowledge that he could be rendered soft-hearted this way.

"Today you admitted your mistakes with full awareness of them and also underwent your punishment without cheating, so there will be no further punishment after we return, but if you commit the same wrong again, I still won't let you get away with it easily, and Great-grandfather's intercession wouldn't be of much help to you. Understand?"

"I understand."

In the other horse-drawn carriage sat Yuwen Tong bluffly, flanked by Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin, both of whom were so nervous their bodies were rigid.

"Was it you who had your great-grandfather called over?" Yuwen Tong slowly asked.

Unlike Ling Zhang, he did not go soft just because Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin had hurt their knees. Those were just some bruises. It was not like they had broken their legs or something. They would fully recover after a few days' rest cure. He had seen far worse injuries than theirs on the battlefield. Besides, this time the three children had indeed done the wrong thing.

Yuwen Tong would have fallen out with Ling Xingzhong when the latter had dressed Ling Zhang down were the old man not Ling Zhang's grandfather.

On hearing his voice, Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin felt the hairs on the backs of their necks stand on end, involuntarily sitting bolt upright. "It wasn't us who did that. A servant in there saw it and informed Great-grandfather."

"A servant?" Yuwen Tong looked at him. "Which one?"

"Uncle Li, the butler," answered Yuwen Qi, inwardly making an apology to Butler Li. He had no choice. He did not dare lie to Yuwen Tong.