Chapter 445- 447

Chapter 445: You Can't Go to Jiangzhou

Ling Zhang was escorted back to the military encampment. During the more than two hours when they'd been in the wood, the armed conflict between the rebel forces in Jiangzhou and the army sent by the imperial court had come to an end.

It was easy to imagine how furious Wang Xiangxin was at this moment, given that not only had he not seen the people or the gold he'd been expecting all this time, but he had also lost a lot of men after falling prey to the trap set by General Zhongwu.

"Young Master, your wound is very deep and was soaked by rain too. Before making a full recovery, you must not use this arm again lest the wound be reopened."

Qiu Bing meticulously cleaned Ling Zhang's wound, applied some medicine to it, dressed it and eventually gave him some advice in a serious tone.

"I see. You guys should get yourselves examined as well. Some of you are injured and should get the wounds bandaged right away. Those of you who are unharmed may have some rest. When the rain stops, send some men back to the county seat to get our baggage. We won't be going back to that residence anytime soon."

Looking at the cut on his arm, Ling Zhang made arrangements for them to deal with what needed to be done next.

As he was wounded, the General Zhongwu soon came to check on him. Knowing that Ling Zhang had merely hurt his arm and the wound had been dressed, he gave a gasp of relief.

"It never crossed my mind Shan Congyi would carry with him something powerful enough to blast such a huge crater in the ground. I'd never seen anything like that before either, and I don't have a clue what it was. If all the armies of the Wan Kingdom are equipped with that kind of things, our country would be in dire danger."

After hearing what had happened in the wood, the General Zhongwu was very worried.

"It was a small black iron ball. I didn't have enough time to see its contents. Seeing as Shan Congyi used it as a last resort, it must be very rare and precious to him. He wouldn't have used it had he had another choice. It's impossible for the Wan Kingdom to equip its every army with that kind of weapons, but we still need to ascertain what it was."

Before the General Zhongwu's arrival, Ling Zhang had had Yao Yi write a letter for him, the contents of which included information about that iron ball. When the rain stopped, he'd have the letter delivered to the capital city, telling Yuwen Tong to send someone to the Wan Kingdom to look into it immediately.

...

In Jiangzhou.

The rebels fled back to the checkpoint, shut the gates as a matter of urgency and finally got themselves a respite. The rebel army had lost more than half of its troops during this fight! Originally they'd planned to go out of the checkpoint, distract the army of the imperial court with a feint, and then lure them away to create an opportunity for Shan Congyi to transport the gold to the checkpoint. They hadn't bargained on falling victim to the enemy's subterfuge. The army of the imperial court had not only routed them like a knife through butter but also kept them from retreating to the checkpoint. Worse still, they hadn't got a single one of the gold ingots that those people of the Wan Kingdom were supposed to deliver to them!

Wang Xiangxin, the mastermind who'd orchestrated this attack launched by the rebel forces, was so angry that his eyes were bloodshot. He'd lost so many men during this fight! And he'd failed to get the gold of the Wan Kingdom too!

"Lord Commander, it's said that when we were fighting out there, there was a turmoil going on in the wood beside Xiaofeng Village as well. That loud explosion we heard during the fight was from that very wood. Considering the ground quaked for a long moment, do you think it's possible that the explosion was caused by... the thing Shan Congyi mentioned in that letter? That's also the reason why I suspect Shan Congyi and his men were intercepted.