Chapter 61- 63

Chapter 61: Recruiting New Guards

Yaoyi couldn't understand what Yuwen Tong was going to do. He rifled through the baggage doubtfully and took out two maps drawn on the fabric. He and the person standing by the side exchanged a glance before the latter nodded and took one map from Yaoyi. Then the two stood by the desk, each holding an unfolded map.

Yuwen Tong set his eyes on these two maps. His expression grew serious after some careful observation.

"Marshal, what do you find?" Yaoyi asked.

Yuwen Tong asked in reply, "Who is in charge of the water route of the Huangsha River in Yanzhou?"

Yaoyi answered after some ponderation, "Li Chong."

"Now, send someone to investigate whether Li Chong has contact with Imperial Concubine Shu and the sixth Prince. Look into every possible lead, and leave no stones unturned," Yuwen Tong said.

"Got it, Marshal," replied the man who put the map down and went out.

Yaoyi watched the man go out and looked at the map again, his eyes widening out of shock, "Marshal, do you mean that Zhang Chong will take this waterway?"

Yuwen Tong glanced at him and said, "You are not so stupid."

Yaoyi wasn't interested in hearing Yuwen Tong's praise at all. "But the encampment of the Prefecture Guard in Tanyang and Huangsha River are separated by vast mountains, right?" Yuwen Tong pointed at those mountains on the map. Eyes following along his fingertip, Yaoyi said, "These palaces have been occupied by the bandits."

The map was marked with dense red dots, all referring to the massive bandits.

"Get someone to dig out everything in these mountains," Yuwen Tong said.

The lights in Green Bamboo Mansion were turned off again after an hour. Ling Zhang, who lived next door, still didn't fall asleep and only slightly relieved the inward fidget by drinking a large cup of cold water.

It was not until dawn that he finally managed to fall asleep.

When he got up the next day, he looked terrible. But he changed his clothes, went to the residence of the Guard and continued his morning training.

Wang Dasan greeted in a hurry as he saw Ling Zhang coming, "Young master."

"Guard Wang, I need you to fill in for the twelve guards temporary, I am sorry it will be a hard work for you." Ling Zhang said.

"That is what I am supposed to do. Since I took your salary, I will share your concerns. Young master, I've found someone to fill the vacancy. When do you have time to test him?" Wang Dashan said.

"So soon? You are well-connected," Ling Zhang said with a smile.

"I am flattered, I just have a lot of friends," Wang Dashan said.

"Is he in Tanyang?" Ling Zhang asked.

"Yes. He lodges at an inn," Wang Dashan said. "He's from Yanzhou. He originally wanted to join the army to contribute to the country after hearing that the bandit was serious in Tanyang. But he changed his mind after a visit to the encampment of the Prefecture Guard. So I took the chance to propose when he was preparing to return to Yanzhou and he agreed."

Noticing that Ling Zhang was listening carefully, Wang Dashan continued, "His name is Liu Yi, who ranks third at home, with two elder brothers and a younger one; with an awkward position not favored his parents, he left home at a young age and had worked as escort for some Express. He is quick-witted with good martial skills. The most important thing is, he is a man of integrity, not someone with sticky fingers or lazy character."