Chapter 136- 138

Chapter 136: The Apprehension of Jia Zhong

"They regard him as a legendary war hero worth worshipping," explained Ling Zhang in a resigned tone of voice. "This morning, I had some men stop them from doing that. Dai Cheng is still in Tanyang. This kind of doings of the residents would never escape the notice of Dai Cheng. If news of it reaches the emperor's ears, there would almost definitely be some extra trouble."

He had been left powerless to comment on the deeds of those residents.

This time, Xie Shi understood. He said, "This kind of things are not without precedents, which is why the Marshal almost always keeps his identity secret to others to avoid attracting any attention, unless he's in the border area or the capital city."

"Do you have any ideas?"

Xie Shi thought for a while and then said, "Maybe you can try distracting the attention of those residents. It won't be long before the Marshal returns to the capital city."

'Distracting the attention of those residents?' Ling Zhang started pondering over it.

"Hey, everybody, that Jia Zhong of Jia family was caught and escorted back. Let's go and see!" somebody on the roadside suddenly yelled.

This news immediately drew the attention of a lot of residents. Ling Zhang also instantly looked in that direction.

"At the west city gate. They have already entered the city!"

'They've entered the city?' Ling Zhang reined in his horse.

"Childe Ling, should we go and take a look?" asked Xie Shi.

Ling Zhang twisted his head around, flicked a glance at the horse-drawn carriages behind him and thought for a while before answering, "Let's go back home first."

'Grandfather and others are not going to be happy to see that guy. Today is the day of their return. They deserve a good mood. Since Jia Zhong has already been apprehended, he's definitely going to be held in custody in the Prefecture Yamen. Grandfather can see him at any time,' thought Ling Zhang.

However, as chance would have it, they had just walked out of the street near the north city gate when they encountered the escorts that had entered the city through the west city gate.

The procession of escort was very long. Surprisingly, apart from Yamen runners dispatched by the Prefecture Yamen, there were also garrison from that town. Ling Zhang could tell with half an eye that those garrison were the ones who had helped with the hunt for Jia Zhong after receiving the message of Yuwen Tong.

"Is that Jia Zhong? They caught him?" Ling Xingzhong opened the curtain of the carriage, looked in that direction and saw that there seemed to be someone in a white prison uniform sitting in the prison wagon. Judging by the figure of that man, he believed him to be Jia Zhong.

"They are passing by in a while. Let's wait and see," replied Ling Zhang.

Since they had already encountered the escorts, Ling Zhang decided that they might as well take a look and find out.

The team of escort was getting closer. The man in the prison wagon was sitting still with his head down. The Yamen runners leading the way at the head of the procession recognized people of Ling family and raised their hands to signal those behind them to halt. The head constable in charge of the escort task walked up to Ling Zhang and made a bow with hands folded in front, saying, "Childe Ling."

"Head Constable Li." Ling Zhang also briefly folded his hands in front as a gesture of courtesy. "Thank you for all the efforts you've put into this task."