Chapter 184- 186

Chapter 184: On Your Knees

At this moment, Zhang Liu felt an urge to hit his head hard on a wall to punish himself. Had he known earlier that they would encounter Yuwen Qi and people of Su family in the Taibai Tavern, he would never have let Ling Zhang come.

Ling Zhang softly threw a quick glance at him and asked, "Why are you being so anxious?"

It was not until this moment that Tao Yi finally came to sense that something was not quite right with the mood at the table. "What's going on?"

Ling Zhang smiled, "Nothing."

But Tao Yi had a thoughtful expression on his face. He tossed a look at the landing, pondered for a few moments and remarked, "Let's go to the book market for a walk. There happens to be some books I need to buy, and you'll have to go to the Imperial College soon. We can go there together and see if there are any books suitable for you."

Ling Zhang gave a bob of the head. "That might not be a bad idea."

Seeing the nervous face of Zhang Liu, Ling Zhang believed that if he sat here for a while longer, Zhang Liu's anxiety would go above the threshold and reduce him to running to Yuwen Tong's report.

The four of them left the Taibai Tavern together, heading for the book market in the third east alley.

On arriving at the book market, Zhang Liu secretly heaved a sigh of relief, feeling that he had rid himself of the risk of being punished after returning.

"Young Master, please slow down a little bit. You must stay close to us in a crowded place like this." Wang Dashan, however, involuntarily tensed his back. There were too many people in the book market. Though at first glance all of them seemed to be students, crowdedness was synonymous with danger.

Tao Yi, after tossing a backward glance at Wang Dashan and Zhang Liu who were closely following in Ling Zhang's wake, said to Ling Zhang, "These two bodyguards of yours are pretty conscientious in their work."

Ling Zhang responded, "Elder Brother Wang is my bodyguard, but Guard Zhang is not. He's just here to render me protection."

After hearing this, Tao Yi craned over and asked under his breath, "Is he by any chance the Marshal's bodyguard?"

Ling Zhang inclined his head.

Tao Yi cast another backward glance at Zhang Liu, who calmly looked back at him. Tao Yi immediately gave a smile at him. Zhang Liu fell speechless.

There were bookstores and book stands everywhere in the book market. Scents of ink and paper were mixing together, shrouding this place in an intense air typical of the literati.

Ling Zhang secretly sighed in sentiment. Except for some occasional short-time reading at night, from his last incarnation until the present day, he hadn't done any serious reading for a long time. Speaking of which, he was actually somewhat worried that he might not be able to keep pace with the tempo of teaching of teachers in the Imperial College.

"I wonder what they teach in the Imperial College," Ling Zhang said. Had he known, he could buy some books and start learning in advance.

Tao Yi knew something about it and recommended several books to Ling Zhang. Ling Zhang purchased them all.

Estimating that these might not be enough, he decided to consult with Yuwen Tong about hiring a private teacher to teach him after he returned.

Inside the Taibai Tavern.

"Let's go out for a walk, cousin." Su Yaoyao, standing beside the window of the private room, egged Yuwen Qi on to take her to the streets to stroll around.