Chapter 325- 327

Chapter 325: A Mole and a Map

Chief He felt a cold shiver of fear run through him, not daring make eye contact with Ling Zhang, head down, eyes roving nervously. Anybody could tell at a glance that he was keeping something back.

"Ah–!"

Qiu Bing quickly stuck the needle into one of Chief He's acupoints, reducing the man to yelling in anguish.

"Answer the question right now or spend the rest of your life screaming in pain."

Chief He looked at Qiu Bing's sneering face as though he were looking at a devil. Deep panic in his eyes, face twisted with agony, he implored, "I'll tell you! I'll tell you! Please make it stop!"

Qiu Bing reached out his hand to grab Chief He's chin and shoved a pill into his mouth, and with that Chief He gradually stopped the anguished cries and limply crumpled up, as though he'd just been pulled back from the gates to the underworld.

"On entering the city, Marshal Yuwen killed a couple of local hoodlums who were robbing people. I once murdered someone, and originally there was nothing that guy's family could do to me, but after hearing about this matter, they decided to go to the Marshal and beseech him to help them get justice. I tried to stop them but failed. For fear of being arrested, I gathered my subordinates and we escaped from the city together."

Chief He was trembling while speaking. He didn't seem to be lying, and his words made sense.

"Please show me mercy, heroes. I've told you everything. Please give me a chance to turn over a new leaf. I'll surrender myself to the yamen. Please don't kill me!"

"Food supply of the yamen is limited. Why should they waste any of it on scum like you?" said Qiu Bing coldly, gazing at Chief He. Scared by these words, Chief He started begging for his life again.

Handing these people to the yamen was indeed an option. At least the yamen would be spared the necessity of hunting for these two gangs of bandits.

However...

"Young Master!" Wang Dashan suddenly walked out of one of the houses, holding a map in his hand.

Chief He twisted his head around and his countenance changed drastically at the sight of the map in Wang Dashan's hand.

"I found a map of secret tunnels of that border city in Youzhou. It's got annotations in Luohai language on it," said Wang Dashan in a serious tone, handing the map to Ling Zhang, shooting a stern glance at Chief He.

It was a map of the secret tunnels of that border city in Youzhou, and it bore marks in Luohai language. The combination of these two facts made it unmistakable what this map was meant for.

On noticing the drastic change of Chief He's countenance and the determined look that suddenly appeared on his face, Qiu Bing, who was quick of eye and deft of hand, rapidly stuck the needle into one of Chief He's vital acupoints to temporarily paralyze him, gripped his chin, heavily dislocated his lower jaw and observed frostily, "You want to die? That's not your decision to make any more."

Ling Zhang had opened the map. After he read it carefully, his face grew grave. Icily eyeing Chief He who was drooling at the mouth like a dying dog, he instructed, "Put his jaw back in and have him tell the truth about his identity and origins. The others keep searching this place and see if there's anything else suspicious."

"Yes."

Wang Dashan brought some men and went to scour the houses. Qiu Bing, with an evil grin, grabbed Chief He and pricked several acupoints of his, and with that Chief He started convulsing in pain, looking at Qiu Bing, a mixture of despair and horror in his eyes. What with his dislocated jaw and the extreme pain, he was totally unable to speak, meaningless grunts issuing from his throat.