Chapter 142- 144

Chapter 142: A Request of Liu Yi

"Wait a moment." Yuwen Tong suddenly halted.

"Marshal?" Yao Yi was confused.

"It was after receiving Yuwen Qi's message that Zhao Fugui came to Tanyang with the intention to rescue him. How did Yuwen Qi send out the message at that time?"

Yao Yi widened his eyes and immediately replied, "I'll go and ask him right now!"

Seeing Yao Yi returned, Zhao Fugui, unaware of what Yao Yi's intent was, narrowed his shoulders.

"How did Yuwen Qi send that message to you?" asked Yao Yi, a cold expression on his face.

Zhao Fugui had already made his cross on the confession document. In the knowledge that there was no way back, he answered without any misgivings, "Second Young Master did it by means of a snake he kept, which has received special training and is able to smell a certain sort of strange, unique odor."

Snake? Yao Yi asked in a suspicious tone of voice, "What kind of snake?"

"A very small snake. It can slither a very long distance. Second Young Master always carries a bamboo tube with him, which is used for containing that snake."

"So you have something that gives off the odor that can lure the snake to you?"

Zhao Fugui nodded, unfastened a sachet from his belt and handed it to Yao Yi.

Yao Yi did smell a weird odor and reached out his hand to take it.

But Zhao Fugui withdrew it. "This odor is not strong but very lingering. It can last about people who touch it for a very long time. I don't know how, but the snake can detect it. If you touch this sachet and that snake by any chance finds you, Second Young Master will definitely lay suspicions on me. And, you must not tell Second Young Master what I just informed you of. Otherwise I'll be dead before I could do anything for Marshal."

Yao Yi coldly gave a snort and left.

After walking out of the place, Yao Yi reported to Yuwen Tong what Zhao Fugui had just told him.

Yuwen Tong recalled what Ling Zhang said that day, amusement gleaming in his eyes. 'Ling Zhang has a pretty keen sense of smell.'

"So be it."

Yao Yi gave a bob of his head.

...

The next morning, Ling Zhang, like the day before, went to the guards' yard to check the security guards' progress in their training.

After the previous day's training, they were significantly more proficient in the formation and indeed didn't let Ling Zhang down.

"Young Master." Liu Yi walked over.

Ling Zhang inclined his head. "Come with me."

Ling Zhang brought Liu Yi back to his dwelling. Liu Yi had been to this place many times, but he had not had a single occasion to visit here recently. As a result, when he stepped into the courtyard, he couldn't help but secretly sigh in sentiment.

"You should know what I want to ask you about," Ling Zhang, who had no intention of beating around the bush, observed straightforwardly after the two of them sat down.

Seeing Ling Zhang had a calm face with no trace of anger, Liu Yi actually felt a sense of great relief.

He had really feared that Ling Zhang might directly send him packing.

"I've indeed been keeping something back from you, Young Master, but I'm only doing this because I have to. By your leave, I'd like to explain it to you in detail."