Chapter 103- 105

Chapter 103: You Are Trying to Gauge the Heart of a Gentleman with...

"I'm not eating this!"

Yuwen Qi violently swept the bowls and chopsticks off the table, which then dropped down to the ground with a mixture of clanks and smashes, rice and dishes scattered everywhere.

"What are these things? You call them food? How dare you offer me this kind of meal? Are you courting death?!"

Without even a slight frown, the guard looked at him, a calm look on his face. "We can't afford to let anybody of Ling family know about your presence here. There's no alternative food."

This meal, which had been specially prepared by the chef of Ling family, was meant for the Marshal. 'It's of better quality than that of any other people in Ling family. Yet he still thinks this is not good enough?'

The guard felt that Yuwen Qi was even pickier than the emperor.

"I want to see my cousin!" Yuwen Qi said angrily.

"Marshal is occupied. He doesn't have the time." After saying this, the guard cleared the food, chopsticks, pieces of bowls from the ground with a broom and a dustpan, and then left.

Angered, Yuwen Qi kept yelling for quite a long time but nobody showed up. Eventually, he thundered, "You goddamn lackeys! How dare you treat me like this! One day when I return to the capital city, I'll skin each and every one of you alive with my bare hands!"

Yuwen Tong, who was sitting in his study, distantly heard the yelling from the wing-room and observed in a bland tone of voice, "Let him be. I'd pay to see him starve himself to death."

"Yes, Marshal," the guard answered, feeling that Yuwen Qi had got his just deserts.

Yuwen Qi cursed loudly for a long time, but there was still nobody coming to his service. Consumed with rage, he gave the table a kick and overturned it. "Bastards!"

Then he slumped down to the chair. His movement was so precipitous that it tensed his injured wrist, his face twisted with anguish. As he recalled that Yuwen Tong had wounded him for a man from an obscure family, the fury inside him went more unbearable. Realizing that he was under house arrest in this room where no help of any form was accessible to him, he nearly spat blood due to the rage.

'No. I can't just stay locked up here. I've got to find a way out.'

Yuwen Qi fished a bamboo tube out of his pocket and stared at it for a while, a sneer on his face.

...

At dusk, Ling Zhang finished dinner earlier than usual, roughly washed and then bade the servants to make preparations for the medicated bath.

"All necessary arrangements have been made according to your instructions. There should be rumors on the streets by tomorrow. Young Master...Young Master?"

Puzzled, Xia Feng looked at Ling Zhang whose mind seemed to be wandering. There had been very few occasions when he saw Ling Zhang act like this, so he was somewhat surprised. "What's the matter, Young Master?"

On hearing Xia Feng's voice, Ling Zhang collected his thoughts and hurriedly asked, "What?"

"All necessary arrangements have been made according to your instructions. There should be rumors on the streets by tomorrow."

Ling Zhang nodded, "I see. You've done a good job."

With a worried look on his face, Xia Feng looked at him. "Young Master, are you tired?"

Cheeks burning slightly, Ling Zhang gave a soft cough and replied, "I'm fine. You may leave."

Xia Feng was still somewhat concerned. "Then call my name aloud if you need me. I'll be here immediately."