Chapter 319- 321

Chapter 319: Friends

The garrison of Jiangzhou started moving north. While waiting for the up-to-date report, Ling Zhang received an invitation. It was from Xun Huo.

Ling Zhang had a placid expression on his face as he gazed at the invitation on the table, but the look in his eyes was not so calm.

Xun Huo hadn't contacted him since they'd seen Ji Feng off on that day, so he was greatly surprised by this sudden invitation and thought a lot about it in spite of himself. Seeing as how sensitive the Ling Mansion's status and his identity were in the capital city, he couldn't help but wonder why Xun Huo had chosen to renew acquaintance with him at this point in time.Read more chapters at ReadNovelFull.com

"Apart from you, the Xun family also sent invitations to the Zhao family, the Xie family and the collateral branch of the Yuwen family. All the couple of friends of yours and Childe Ling received his invitations," said Miao Shiba.

Whenever anybody sent an invitation to the Ling Mansion, they always ascertained the ins and outs of what it was about.

"Childe Ling, Xun Yi keeps a very low profile and seems not to be in league with any force, but I fear that's only a spurious impression created by him. Given the current circumstances, you need to be extra careful if you decide to accept the invitation," added Miao Shiba.

Miao Shiba was actually more inclined to try to dissuade Ling Zhang from going there, for the capital city was now a very dangerous place.

"Has any of the others made a reply?" asked Ling Zhang.

Miao Shiba shook his head. "Not yet."

Ling Zhang gave a smile. "It would seem they're all waiting for me to take the lead. Send him a reply. Tell him I'll be there."

Miao Shiba hesitated for a moment. "Childe Ling, if by any chance they're up to something..."

"I don't want anybody to regard me as a coward," said Ling Zhang. Xun Huo hadn't been in touch with him for quite some time, and now he'd suddenly made contact with him at this juncture and also invited so many others. Considering this, even Ling Zhang himself wouldn't believe it if he told Miao Shiba that Xun Huo was not up to anything, but he couldn't shy away from it because of the potential dangers.

After Ling Zhang's reply was delivered, Yuwen Jin, Zhao Jiusi, Zhao Turui and Xie Qing, one after another, also had their replies delivered to the Xun family.

The time of the appointment was the next morning. Ling Zhang and the other invitees happened to arrive at the Xun family's residence at the same time.

Xun Huo had been waiting for them at the front gates. At the sight of them coming, he gave a smile. "It's such a coincidence that you guys arrived all at once, which spares me the long waiting."

"Xun Huo, have you been busy hatching eggs lately? We haven't seen you for ages." Yuwen Jin was the first to speak, and his voice was as jokey as always, sounding as though they were still on the same terms as they used to be.

"Yeah, we've all been worried about you, Xun Huo. All our servants delivering our letters to you told us that you were otherwise engaged and didn't have the time to meet us," Zhao Turui also said.

Looking at the couple of them, Xun Huo chuckled and then shifted his gaze to Ling Zhang and said, "Let's go inside first and talk later."

Ling Zhang bobbed his head. "Okay."

Xun Huo cast him a smile and then led the four of them into the residence. In the courtyard house Xun Huo lived, they took seats.

"My father is not in, and my mother went to a Buddhist temple to pray for blessings, so there are no elders here today. You guys may make yourselves at home," said Xun Huo.