Chapter 229- 231

Chapter 229: Wang Deguang

On hearing the servant say that Tao Yi looked very anxious, Ling Zhang hastened outside to meet him in the belief that something bad had happened.

"What's wrong? Did anything happen?" Ling Zhang directly asked Tao Yi at the sight of him. The two of them were friends with years' acquaintance, which made pleasantries totally unnecessary.

Tao Yi, seeing Ling Zhang walk out, said with a guilty face, "I'm the one to blame for what happened in the Taibai Tavern earlier today."

Ling Zhang was perplexed. "What are you talking about?"

Tao Yi replied, "Someone tried to poison you in the Taibai Tavern, and there's only one explanation for that: one of us disclosed to others that we'd stand you a meal there. I sounded them out and the one who paid the bill today told me in private that one of my schoolmates divulged our bet."

Ling Zhang, whose face remained unchanged, remarked, "None of us had ever said the bet should be kept secret, so it's not really surprising that one of us mentioned it to other people. This is not your fault."

Tao Yi said, "But I feel very upset about this matter, and I wouldn't be able to find peace of mind if I don't come here and inform you of it."

Ling Zhang queried, "Who told others about the bet?"

Tao Yi answered, "Wang Deguang."

Ling Zhang, after a moment's recollection, came to know which one that person was.

"Maybe Brother Wang did that unintentionally. It's best if this stays between me and you. I'll have this matter looked into later. You should pretend this talk never happened in the presence of Wang Deguang. If you don't and it turns out to be a misunderstanding, we'd be in a very awkward situation."

Tao Yi inclined his head. "I understand."

Tao Yi indeed had every reason to feel distressed after what happened earlier this day. If it was really because one of his schoolmates had disclosed their whereabouts that had nearly caused Ling Zhang to be poisoned, he would have a terrible conscience knowing he'd put his friend in danger and would be ashamed to see anybody for the rest of his life.

Ling Zhang said, "Don't overthink it. Let me be honest with you – someone wants me dead, and nothing could prevent them from finding out my whereabouts. Also, that bet was never really confidential."

"Who wants you dead? Is it Jiang Yu?" asked Tao Yi, a grave look on his face.

It had never crossed Ling Zhang's mind that Tao Yi would link it to Jiang Yu. He shook his head. "He and I do have history, but I don't think he has anything to do with this."

Tao Yi persisted, "Then do you know who that person is? Does the Marshal know?"

Ling Zhang responded, "We have a vague guess, but it's inconvenient to talk much about it in these circumstances. I'll tell you when the truth is ascertained."

Seeing Ling Zhang was insistent on keeping it back from him, Tao Yi, though anxious, had no choice but to give up asking for more details. He said, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Ling Zhang said, "We can handle this by ourselves, so stay out of it. It's dangerous. And do not visit me again in the next few days. If by any chance you come to any harm, I wouldn't be able to show my face in front of Lord Tao."

Tao Yi observed, "We're friends."

Ling Zhang responded, "That's the very reason I need you to do this. The knowledge that my friends are safe is the only thing that can help me get rid of the worries behind. If you're dragged into this because of me, I would be bound hands and feet and have to worry about you as well."