Chapter 220- 222

Chapter 220: An Unsuccessful Hunt

If Yuwen Tong's words were true, did it mean that the mastermind was really from the Wan Kingdom?

"But why do they want me dead?" Ling Zhang was thrown into perplexity. "Just because Shan Congwen was humiliated at the front gate of the imperial palace that day?"

Yuwen Tong shook his head. "Risking being tracked down to avenge a humiliation in a minor conflict? Shan Congwen won't do such a thing as long as he's not soft in the head."

"Then why?" Ling Zhang was really very puzzled. How could they possibly benefit from his death?

"To frame somebody?" Ling Zhang himself shook his head first. Given what had happened earlier this day, people of the Wan Kingdom might not even be able to rid themselves of suspicions, let alone frame somebody else.

Yuwen Tong was also contemplating. Then he said, "Maybe this has something to do with the diplomatic corps of the Wan Kingdom's long stay in the Great Yue. Since they have made their move, there are definitely traces left behind that we can find."

Before this day, the diplomatic corps of the Wan Kingdom had been biding their time all along, touring the city every day, which had made it difficult to conduct investigation into their intentions, but now they had taken action, so there must be some leads they could find to inquire into this attack.

Yuwen Tong said, "Of course, there's also a ten-percent possibility that the Wan Kingdom has nothing to do with this, but currently, the emperor is even more anxious to ascertain who sent the assassin than we are. The harder other interested parties try, the easier it would be for us to identify what we need."

At this time, Ling Zhang came to a better understanding of the situation. "Was this why you had me keep the existence of the crossbow secret and provided His Majesty and the others with the assumption of a powerful weapon?"

Yuwen Tong nodded. "Yeah. With the existence of such powerful weapons in mind, the emperor, for one, would definitely suffer from insomnia, and he would also be bent on getting them."

Ling Zhang squinted at Yuwen Tong. This guy was pretty sly.

Yuwen Tong drew him into his embrace and sighed, "Just now it was so dangerous. If you hadn't reached the second layer of that mental cultivation method of internal energy...

Yuwen Tong didn't finish his sentence, but he was clearly experiencing a carry-over of fear. He cuddled Ling Zhang close, unwilling to let go of him, dead silent.

Ling Zhang also hugged him. "I'm okay. Me cultivating internal energy is something of inevitability. There's no 'if'. Don't think too much about it."

From the moment he'd been reborn, the course of his life had been changed forever. After rebirth, he would want to take revenge and break off his engagement for marriage, which meant that his making Yuwen Tong's acquaintance had been inevitable; his leaving Tanyang had been inevitable; and his living long enough to be found by his maternal grandfather had also been inevitable. Although there had been perils along the way, the prerequisite of all of them had been that the course of his life had been altered. There was no point making assumptions, and he didn't want Yuwen Tong to bear any unpleasant thoughts in mind.

Ling Zhang consoled Yuwen Tong for another few moments, telling him that he would eventually get through these dangers unharmed. He also said, "I'll grow stronger and stronger in the future, and I won't allow anybody a single chance to do me any harm. I'll go and consult my grandfather after we get back, and maybe he'll give me some tips that'll help me reach a higher level. Will you go with me?"