Chapter 511- 513

Chapter 511: The Method of Eliminating Gu Worms

Mr. Mu's reply arrived sooner than expected. It was delivered to Ling Zhang on the morning of the third day. At this time the army of the Great Wen had fully taken over the city they had captured a few days ago. Also, troops regroupment had finished, and all units were ready to resume their northward advance.

Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong had not seen each other for two days. Both of them found the separation unbearably torturous, but Ling Zhang was aware that Yuwen Tong was deeper in misery than he was, because the very thought of him brought Yuwen Tong great pain.

The letter from Mr. Mu was virtually a lifesaver. Ling Zhang, almost bursting with eagerness, quickly opened the bamboo tube and tipped out the letter to read it.

In the letter, Mr. Mu made a very concise reply, saying that that kind of Gu worms were very rare, that the art of raising them had almost been lost to the world. They fed on the affections of their hosts. They had originally been used by Gu masters living in South Xinjiang to punish unfaithful lovers. With that kind of Gu worms inside their body, an unfaithful lover would suffer unendurable pain in the heart every time they thought of the one they had transferred their affections to; the more they missed their new lover, the greater the pain; in some cases, the pain could be severe enough to take the victim's life.

In addition, the more often the victim missed their lover, the faster the Gu worms grew. Normally, they would stay in their hosts' bodies for a month before mauling their hosts to death. The longer they lived in the hosts' bodies, the harder it would be to extract them. Even in South Xinjiang, this kind of worms were very unpopular. In the last imperial dynasty, some people had been employed in raising them, but over time Gu masters with the expertise in raising them had dwindled, and hardly anybody had heard of this kind of worms in the past two centuries.

In the letter, Mr. Mu said that there was a way to lure the worms out, but he had to do it personally; however, given that the worms had been in Yuwen Tong's body for several days, and that Yuwen Tong had deep affection for Ling Zhang, the worms had probably grown up already, and if they stayed in there for another few days, it would be very difficult to extract them, so Mr. Mu told Ling Zhang to use his blood to entice the worms from Yuwen Tong's body.

Ling Zhang's blood, apart from a deterrent to Gu worms, could also serve as a temptation to them. He could use his blood to lure the worms out, but there was a problem: the worms inside Yuwen Tong were a kind of Mother-Child Dyadic Gu. If the method worked, the Child Worm would be lured out first, and what with some kind of telepathic bond shared by the Child Worm and the Mother Worm, once the former sensed danger, the latter would start biting Yuwen Tong's insides instead of coming out. Therefore, Ling Zhang would have to let the Child Worm enter his body after enticing it out of Yuwen Tong's, and that was the only way to lure the Mother Worm out and kill it. As regards the Child Worm, the Force of Blood inside Ling Zhang would restrain it until Mr. Mu arrived and extracted it.

Mr. Mu also specially mentioned that there was also a kind of telepathic bond between the worms and their raiser, who would suffer harm at the death of the Mother Worm and thus came to know about it.

Ling Zhang let out a long sigh of relief at the knowledge that there was a way to lure the worms out. As regards whether or not letting the worm enter his body would put him in any danger, he didn't really care. Besides, he had an advantage over Yuwen Tong – his blood could dampen the activity of the worm.

Having come to know about this method, Ling Zhang couldn't wait to entice the worms from Yuwen Tong's body.

When he had walked through the door, he came to a halt, thought for a moment, then returned inside, took something and walked out again before making towards Yuwen Tong's tent.