Chapter 163- 165

Chapter 163: A Mysterious Old Man

The old man went upstairs. Before Ling Zhang could detect anything, Yuwen Tong briefly squinted his eyes.

"Waiter, another place setting, please," Ling Zhang said to the waiter.

The waiter had some time ago dismissed his previous thoughts from his mind, including the "a fresh flower sticking in a heap of cow-dung" part. Despite the fact that they were a gay couple, that man looking like an upstart master had just now given each of those men a kick sending them flying out of the tavern. 'He's by no means a common person!' the waiter thought.

On hearing Ling Zhang's words, the waiter repeatedly answered "Yes" and quickly left. Soon, he brought another place setting to their table and obsequiously asked, "Would you care for another few courses?"

Ling Zhang tossed a glance at the dishes on the table and replied, "That won't be necessary. You may leave."

There were a tableful of courses, which should be more than enough for three men.

"Please take a seat, old gentleman." Ling Zhang pointed at the seat beside him.

The presence of an outsider made it inconvenient for him to take off his veil hat, so he decided to just sit here and eat later.

Yuwen Tong glanced at the old man and asked, "Your internal energy is pretty potent. How did you come to be knocked over by a childe too frail to stand a gust of wind?"

Ling Zhang was taken aback by this remark and immediately looked at the old man.

Surprisingly, the old man's countenance remained rather natural. He gave a chuckle, took his chopsticks, picked a piece of food and sent it into his mouth. Chewing, he responded, "He's just a young man. I was afraid that I might knock him dead if I mobilized my internal energy. I didn't have the heart."

"You are such a kind-hearted old gentleman," commented Yuwen Tong.

"Alas. I just couldn't help it. Soft-heartedness is my only weakness," said the old man. With that, he took another bite of a dish. It seemed that he was really hungry, since he had gulped down a bowl of rice within just a few moments.

Seeing this, Ling Zhang reached out his hand with the intention to refill the old man's bowl but the old man stopped him and said, "One bowlful is enough for me. Thank you for your kindness, Childe."

Yuwen Tong sitting on the side observed, "Oral thanks show a lack of sincerity. How about expressing your gratitude with something more practical?"

Ling Zhang remained silent. Though Yuwen Tong's words somewhat surprised him, he had always believed that Yuwen Tong was not a man who would do things aimlessly.

Unexpectedly, the old man did not feel Yuwen Tong's proposal inappropriate to the occasion. After thinking for a moment, he answered, "Actually you are right. I can't just freeload and walk away without giving anything in return. How about this? I've got a secret manual on internal energy here. I'd like to give it to you as a gift, Childe."

After saying this, he fished a handbook out of his bosom and handed it to Ling Zhang.

Yuwen Tong intercepted it and was just about to open it when the old man stopped him.

The old man chuckled, "This is not for you, my friend."

After a rapid blur of movement, the handbook in Yuwen Tong's hand suddenly disappeared. Meanwhile, Ling Zhang felt someone stuff something into his hand. He cocked an eye at it and found that it was that handbook.