Chapter 166- 168

Chapter 166: Uninterested

After sparing a couple of men to help carry the baggage, Yue Qi and other bodyguards got acquainted with Wang Dashan and his men as well as Xia Feng and a couple of supervisors. Then they showed Ling Zhang around the residence.

Just like Yuwen Tong had told him, this residence covered a vast area. After walking through the front door, he was greeted by a spacious and quite imposing front yard. On the right side of the yard was the first row of houses, among which there was a generously and ingeniously furnished reception hall.

On each of the two sides of the first row of houses was a corridor, and there was broad open space, too. Behind these houses was an altogether different world all its own, which was two even three times the area of the front yard. This was a garden. Ling Zhang believed it was probably the one Yuwen Tong had mentioned. There were two-story buildings with attic on both sides of the garden, the furnishings of which had their own respective characteristics.

Further ahead was a lake, where lotuses had been planted. Currently, the whole surface of the lake was covered in lotus leaves. Behind the lake was a large drill ground. An ingenious part of the layout of the garden was that there were rockeries, pavilions and platforms in the garden, which meant that people were not able to see the drill ground from the other side, so the concealment of this drill ground was satisfactory. Beside the drill ground were small courtyards and rows of living quarters for security guards.

Amid those living quarters was an exquisite main courtyard house that had been prepared for Ling Zhang. All furnishings and arrangements inside it had cost a lot of money and efforts. The more of the abode Ling Zhang saw, the fonder of it he grew.

Apart from these, there were also a couple of other courtyard houses, which were reserved for people of Ling family who might come to the capital city some day.

All necessary facilities were readily available, such as the kitchen, living quarters for servants, utility rooms, stables etc.

In a word, Ling Zhang was very satisfied with this residential compound.

Yue Qi and others had already had the whole compound thoroughly cleaned. All furniture and daily essentials were new.

The management of messing arrangements had not started yet. Since Ling Zhang and his men had arrived, chefs and other servants working in the kitchen would prepare the first meal after all baggage was properly handled.

They had moved into this place in a haste, so Ling Zhang decided to make it simple.

First they set off firecrackers at the front door. Then a wooden board engraved with the name of Ling family was hung on top of the door. After that servants in the kitchen made a fire in the stove.

When it came to the first meal in a residence, chefs were well acquainted with related customs. After going through a series of ceremonies and making quite some auspicious remarks, everybody took a seat around the tables, waiting for food to be served.

Having just finished such a long and weary journey, all of them were satiated by the feast. Chefs were still busy preparing all kinds of food in the kitchen and probably wouldn't be able to get any spare time until the next day.

After the meal, they drank some wine.

Wang Dashan and other security guards had some time ago started chatting and messing around with Yao Yi and his men, their arms around each other's shoulders, which was an uproarious and frivolous scene.

Yue Qi and other bodyguards, holding their fellows they had not seen for quite a long time, sighed in sentiment, "It's been really difficult for us to find a place like this to let off steam since we returned to the capital city. We had to behave very cautiously in the abode of the Marshal and never got to relax in this way. It seems that life in the north-west is the most comfortable."