Chapter 316- 318

Chapter 316: The Siege of the Jiang Family

Father...

Ling Zhang gazed at Ling Zhaowu, somewhat stunned. He'd never expected to hear such words from his father, which he found quite enlightening.

"Dai Cheng and Wang Cai are the second threat you're faced with. Currently, apart from the Southern City Garrison Battalion and the garrison of Cangzhou, the garrison of Yanzhou are also in Cangzhou. Though they have suffered some casualties, they are still a massive force. Once he turns against us, we won't be able to defend this city against his attack. Also, you should dismiss the illusion that the rebel army in Cangzhou are holding Dai Cheng back. All those rebels were originally common folk. They rose in revolt because they had no other choice. The uprising could be suppressed by force, but it's also possible that the rebels would accept amnesty and surrender if the terms are appealing enough.

When you're considering how to use the Fang family to eliminate all restive rivals in one fell swoop, you're overlooking the fact that the Fang family and the Eighth Prince should be the least of your concerns."

A deathly hush descended in the room after Ling Zhaowu finished his remarks.

The Right Prime Minister suddenly rose to his feet, stepped up to Ling Zhaowu, made a bow with hands folded in front, and then straightened himself to look at the others. "Brother Ling is right. Presently, the Jiang family and Cangzhou are our greatest threat."

Zhao Zheng also came to himself. "The Jiang family have been quiet all along over the past few weeks, but I'm afraid that might be a spurious impression."

"Now that we've come to realize this, it's not too late to act. We still have time. The Jiang family have shut their front gates and stopped receiving visitors, so even if they have covertly done something, it shouldn't have been very fruitful, given the restrictions they're under. The Jiang family is different from the Fang family. Those roped in by the Fang family are no doubt uncertainties, but those that could be swayed by the Jiang family don't necessarily have the intention of helping the Eighth Prince, so we should not show the Jiang family any mercy. We must snuff it out before it gets too strong," added Ling Zhaowu.

"What do you have in mind, Brother Ling?" The Right Prime Minister looked at him.

"Just fabricate a charge against the Jiang family and have the troops besiege their house. Kill anybody who tries to go in or out of the house without permission. The Jiang family have lost their power, and the imperial household couldn't even protect themselves. The Jiang family naturally wouldn't be able to make any trouble if they couldn't leave their house. Take a firm hand with them, so that those swayed by the Jiang family would see that taking the Jiang family's side is not a smart move," said Ling Zhaowu.

"Maybe we should just kill them," suggested Commander Xie.

Ling Zhaowu looked at him. "If we kill them right now, there will be resistance, which is totally unnecessary."

"The Jiang family... Well, it's common knowledge that the Jiang family maintained a growing network of influential contacts in Cangzhou for many years. If the Jiang family are found involved in the Cangzhou insurrection, that should be a crime serious enough for their residence to be ringed by troops," said the Right Prime Minister.

Ling Zhaowu gave him an appreciative look, feeling that this man was worthy of his post, that he thought faster than anybody else after coming to realize the situation. He probably had already figured out what the next step should be.

"I'll handle the Jiang family. I need you to cooperate with me, Commander Xie." The Right Prime Minister looked at Commander Xie.

"No problem. Just tell me what you want me to do."