Chapter 91- 93

Chapter 91: A Secret Location

With the help of those heavily armored infantry, Zhang Chong's army smashed its way into enemy territory like a hot knife cutting through butter and soon cornered those bandits on the top of the mountain when the daytime was over.

There was a natural chasm on the mountaintop, which was the last line of defense that those bandits could rely on. Because of densely laid traps around it, even those heavily armored infantry were having trouble advancing further.

Zhang Chong and his men encircled the mountaintop ring upon ring. Then he had a soldier yell at those bandits, demanding their surrender.

"Bah! No way are we going to surrender. I'll wring Zhang Chong's head off even if the price is my own life!"

Such was the hatred those surviving bandits bore towards Zhang Chong that they would literally drink his blood and eat him alive if they had the chance. Though in a hopeless dilemma, none of these outlaws was willing to surrender. The two sides of the battle just confronted each other at the mountaintop in an impasse.

"Commander, do we take them by storm right now or do we just besiege them and wait for them to run out of food?"

"Besiege them? I don't have that much time for this. Go and tell all captains to come here. We'll formulate an operation plan and then storm the enemy position."

"But there will be heavy casualties if we do it this way."

On hearing this, Zhang Chong smiled hideously, "That's the very result I want. The emperor has just rejected my request. Now is my chance to show him the consequences of it. I'll have him willingly offer to enlarge my army and encampment."

Zhang Chong's expression and words sent chills down the spine of his subordinate, who was afraid to look at Zhang Chong's eyes again. "Yes, Commander."

On that night, there were torches all over the Lee Mountain. Even residents in Tanyang could see them distinctly.

Tao Feng and Ling Zhaowen were still on the South Gate Tower, their eyes fixed on the Lee Mountain.

Tao Feng said, "Scouts brought news back saying that many gang-leaders went to the Prefecture Encampment to deliver gifts to Zhang Chong early this morning, that there were also some who didn't. And all those who didn't are now on the Lee Mountain."

Ling Zhaowen was amazed. "All because they didn't send him gifts? What the hell is Zhong Chong thinking of?"

"The gift he wanted was 10,000 taels of silver."

Ling Zhaowen gave a gasp of astonishment. "10,000 taels? That's a huge amount of money. Why did Zhang Chong suddenly demand those bandits to pay him so much money?"

Naturally, Tao Feng didn't have the answer to this question. Had he known the reason, he wouldn't have been so perplexed.

Ling Zhaowen thought for a while and then said, "Your Lordship, I'd like to go back home and consult with my father about this matter."

Tao Feng nodded.

Ling Zhaowen hastily returned home. But instead of going to Ling Xingzhong's dwelling, he headed for the Green Bamboo Mansion.

"Second Master Ling?" The guard was rather surprised to see him.

"There's something I'd like to consult the Marshal about. I wonder if this is a convenient time."

"I'm sorry, Second Master Ling. The Marshal happened to have just left and is not in at the moment. But Childe Ling is here. Would you like to see him?"