Chapter 529- 531

Chapter 529: City Gates Opened, the Wan Capital Take

No sooner had the bugle blared when the main force hiding outside the city heard it.

"Attack!"

Yuwen Tong gave the order to attack and with that the troops charged at the west city gates at full tilt.

The hush of the inky night was immediately broken by the massive offensive and even the ground was quaking.

The whole capital city was awoken by the noises. The citizens, both those who understood the meaning of the loud bugle calls and those who didn't, were thrown into panic.

"What's going on?!"

"The Great-Wen buglers are sounding attack! They've breached the defense!"

Pandemonium reigned over the Wan capital.

Ling Zhang and his bodyguards, along with He Xiao and the others, took control of the city gates immediately after gaining entry into the city, and with that they engaged an army patrol coming to check on the gates.

"You!" The captain of the patrol was shocked and infuriated as he saw the commander of the garrison unit responsible for guarding the west city gates standing side by side with some soldiers of the Great Wen. "You've actually stooped to colluding with the enemy! You traitors!"

"We've just chosen to serve a wiser master!" huffed the garrison commander, the look on his face turning ugly at the accusation. Driven by a pang of mingled guilt and rage, he shouted a command and then lunged at the patrol with his men.

Ling Zhang exchanged a glance with He Xiao and said, "It's just a small patrol. Let these people handle it. I'll take my bodyguards and go a little further to check out the lay of the land."

He Xiao preferred him to stay with the soldiers, but then he recalled what Yuwen Tong had said before departure. "Be careful, Your Highness," he said with a head bob.

Ling Zhang and his bodyguards galloped squarely towards the far end of North Street. At this time, news of the opening of the west city gates had just started spreading, and none of the defenders had arrived except for the army patrol.

"Young Master, there's another army patrol coming."

"Intercept them. Our troops have reached the city gates already."

"Yes, Young Master!"

...

Yuwen Tong had just led his men into the city when he found that Ling Zhang and his twenty-four bodyguards had wiped out a whole army patrol, the street strewn with dead bodies, Ling Zhang standing in the highest position, holding a sword from the point of which blood was still dripping.

"The garrison's coming," Ling Zhang told Yuwen Tong aloud, turning his head around after glancing into the distance.

Yuwen Tong gave a bob of the head and then split his men into three groups, two of which headed for East Street and South Street respectively, the third pushing towards the royal palace.

Ling Zhang shook the blood off the point of his sword and leaped off the height gliding like a bird in night sky, then landed beside Yuwen Tong.

"I'll go to the south city gates with them," he said, face cold, eyes gleaming. Having just killed a lot of enemy soldiers, he was not interested in going to the royal palace to look for Shan Congli and wanted to go to the south city gates to help.

Yuwen Tong raised his hand and wiped off a speck of blood that Ling Zhang had spattered on his cheek unawares. "Stay safe," he cautioned.

Ling Zhang nodded, gave an instruction to his bodyguards, mounted Snowflake the horse and then followed the troops heading for the south city gates.