Chapter 115- 117

Chapter 115: The Burglar in Prefecture Yamen

If nobody intervened, those people might not survive after being taken into the Prefecture Encampment.

"We can't stand by and let this happen," said Ling Zhang after a few moments' silence. He had had no original intention of getting any innocent people involved, but he needed to figure out a way to stop Zhang Chong. "Those people have already been taken to the Prefecture Encampment. If, while they are in there, the burglar who 'killed' Lu Kui committed another theft, those people will naturally be cleared of suspicions."

This would also be a delaying tactic. As long as they managed to delay Zhang Chong for a couple of more days, he would definitely be too occupied with saving his own life to investigate the murder case.

"It sounds like a pretty good plan. What are you going to do?" Yuwen Tong asked him.

"I'm afraid common people cannot endure the interrogation of Prefecture Guards..." Ling Zhang said after pondering for quite a while. "I'll have Wang Dashan disguise as a burglar and come to steal from Ling family. Ask that guard who went to Lu family that day to leave some more footprints."

Yuwen Tong smiled, "It's okay to have him leave footprints, but if soldiers of the Prefecture Guards come here to investigate, they will find the secrets in Ling family."

Ling Zhang was vexed. "I got anxious and forgot about this. Then what should we do?"

Suddenly his eyes lit up. "I can just ask Lord Tao to do me a favor."

'Isn't a theft in the Prefecture Yamen far more serious than it's like in my family?' he wondered.

"There's no need to ask him for help. If by any chance you disclose too much, Tao Feng will guess the secrets of Lu family. Just send someone to pay a visit to Prefecture Yamen."

"How do you plan to do it?"

Yuwen Tong summoned his bodyguard and gave him some instructions.

The bodyguard answered, "I'll go there right now."

"There's no hurry. Wait until after Zi Hour (23:00-01:00)."

"Those people will be tortured if we don't take immediate action."

Ling Zhang watched Yuwen Tong in confusion. Yuwen Tong explained in a calm tone of voice. "Rest assured, I won't let them die. They will only have to endure some lashing or something like that. It'll be more favorable for us if we make this bigger."

Ling Zhang thought for a while but raised no objections.

Late that night. In Prefecture Yamen.

Except for Yamen runners on patrol and those on night duty, most people in Prefecture Yamen were asleep. It was very quiet and all areas beyond the lighting range of lanterns were pitch-dark. Tao Feng and all his family members lived in the rear yard of Prefecture Yamen, which Yamen runners on night patrol focused their attention on.

A Yamen runner on patrol let out a big yawn. It was very natural that people felt sleepy late at night.

The patrol team had just walked past the door at the corner of the rear yard. The door was tightly closed and locked from the inside. There was nothing unusual about it and Yamen runners didn't pay any extra attention to it. They all believed that nobody would be so bold as to steal from Prefecture Yamen.

However, something beyond all their expectations was going to happen on this night.

The Yamen runner, who had just finished the yawn, was just about to lower his head when suddenly he saw a black figure flash across the corner of the walls of the rear yard. He gave an instantaneous shudder and yelled, "Who is it!"