Chapter 121- 123

Chapter 121: Shock

'Does Yuwen Tong know about the conflict between Ling family and the Prefecture Guards?'

Staring speechless at one another, all four deputy commanders felt that the matter of Ling family had become tricky.

It would take only a minor mistake for them to make an enemy of Yuwen Tong, which would leave them in the most unfavorable situation. Currently, even the emperor had to give precedence to Yuwen Tong out of courtesy under certain circumstances. Surely they didn't dare cross Yuwen Tong, confronting the tough with toughness. Even a fool knew they didn't stand a chance. Yuwen Tong was no soft target!

'Now that a frontal attack is not a choice, I'll have to figure out another way.'

Zhang Chong stood up. "I'm a bit of a boor and I have little acquaintance with courtesy, but Marshal and Childe Ling can count on me coming here with lavish presents and my soldiers to congratulate you on your wedding day."

"Yes. We can also be counted on bringing liberal gifts here to congratulate Marshal and Childe Ling on your wedding day."

Four deputy commanders raced to stand up and made a promise.

"Previously, I failed to recognize Jia family for who they are and fell prey to their instigation. Although people of Jia family had been convicted and jailed, my conscience still stands guilty. Fortunately I didn't wrong any good people in a moment of impulsion. Otherwise, I won't be able to atone for my guilt even if I die ten thousand times.

Childe Ling, please forgive me if any previous deeds of the Prefecture Guards offended you or your family. From now on, the Prefecture Guards will be Ling family's most powerful backer. If Ling family encounters any difficulties, please feel free to contact me. I swear I'll do everything I can to help Childe Ling out."

Zhang Chong made the first half of his remarks in an apologetic tone, and then sincerely staked out his position. If it weren't for the fact that Ling Zhang still had memories of what happened in his last life, he would probably have been moved by Zhang Chong's knowing when to yield and when not.

Unfortunately, Ling Zhang had long ago found out what kind of person Zhang Chong actually was, and Zhang Chong owed him a huge debt of blood, which was impossible to be repaid with one or two remarks.

"You spoke so seriously and strongly that I feel embarrassed, Commander Zhang. I'm your junior and unworthy of such courtesy and kindness of yours. Besides, there have not really been any conflicts between Ling family and the Prefecture Guards, and I actually admire Commander Zhang."

'Who doesn't know any polite formulas? And the time to shed all pretences of cordiality has not come yet anyway. It'll take only a couple of more days' wait for me to get my wish, so why bother angering Zhang Chong on this occasion?' Ling Zhang thought.

Ling Zhang's tactful remarks made Zhang Chong feel very pleased. The four deputy commanders also secretly felt relieved, thinking that it was very fortunate of them not to have carried out those plans they had formulated to undercut Ling family's position, otherwise things might end ugly on this day.

However, they had come to understand the situation, but Tao Feng was reduced to confusion. 'Is Ling Zhang trying to... make peace with Zhang Chong? If Ling family and Zhang Chong write off all their old scores, won't I be left with a hopeless future? Will the Prefecture Yamen by any chance never be rid of the repression of Zhang Chong?'

Tao Feng's eyebrows slightly furrowed. As Zhang Chong saw this, a faint sneer of complacency flashed across his eyes.

'Tao Feng intends to use Yuwen Tong to deal with me? Humph. Even Yuwen Tong himself doesn't want to come into conflict with the Prefecture Guards of Tanyang for no good reason. That Ling Zhang is fairly tactful, yet this Tao Feng really thinks he can turn the tide and be the boss? Wake up, dude.'