Chapter 265- 267

Chapter 265: An Apology from Zheng Shi?

An intelligence report submitted to Yuwen Tong, however, said that Zheng shi had taken Yuwen Qi to that temple to meet someone, whose identity was cloaked in a shroud of secrecy, and who had a powerful force in the capital city as his backer.

Yao Yi and some others, in order not to alarm the mastermind, let that man leave.

After pondering for a few moments, Yuwen Tong gave a sneer. This person wielded such great power in the capital city, and his methods were so familiar. He wondered whether this man who had suddenly shown up to upset his plan was the same person who had killed Su Zhi previously.

"There's no way Yuwen Qi could make a full recovery from his broken legs after a single meeting with that man. After that man shows up a few more times, your opportunity to reveal his identity will arise. Currently, our first priority is the matter Xie Shi has been dealing with. Go and see if he's found anything."

"Yes, Marshal."

This was the day when Yuwen Zhi's old servant would go to that teahouse. Xie Shi had been lying in ambush in there for quite some time.

...

In the teahouse.

When the storyteller reached the most heart-thrilling part of the tale and all customers in the teahouse had their attention fixed on him, one particular person quietly left the hall making towards the privy in the back yard. This person was slightly hunched and stayed in the privy for a long time before exiting.

After walking through the privy door, he cautiously looked around and didn't return to the hall of the teahouse until he confirmed that nobody was watching.

Xie Shi cocked an eye at a spot near the foot of the wall behind the privy. With a sudden flicker of his figure, he disappeared.

When Yao Yi arrived, Xie Shi was still not back yet. The guard that had accompanied Xie Shi to the teahouse was wavering between going to look for Xie Shi or continuing to wait when he caught sight of Yao Yi and called in a pleasantly surprised tone, "Captain!"

"How's it going? Has Xie Shi found anything out?"

"He isn't back yet."

Yao Yi patiently waited, but after nearly two hours, Xie Shi still hadn't returned, and neither had Xie Shi sent an SOS. Uncertain of whether Xie Shi was in danger, Yao Yi decided to go and look for him with the guard and was just about to set off when Xie Shi showed up, a funky odor about him.

Yao Yi clapped a hand over his nose. "Where the hell have you been? Why do you smell so weird?"

Xie Shi shot a dark glance at him. "I ascertained where that venomous snake went. Let's go back and report to the Marshal first."

After returning to the residential compound of the Yuwen family, Xie Shi took a bath, changed clothes and then went to see Yuwen Tong. He said, "Marshal, that snake went through a back-wall of the imperial palace. As it's small and not easy to spot, nobody apart from me noticed it entering the palace. I vaguely saw the snake worm its way into a utility room before I lost sight of it. There were guards on the other side of the palace wall, so I didn't go inside without your consent."

Yuwen Tong was unsurprised at this reply. What had happened corresponded with one of his speculations, which would probably lead to the most troublesome eventuality.

Yuwen Zhi had been secretly keeping in contact with someone in the imperial palace. Given that there was some kind of link between this person's duties and a utility room, his or her status was probably not high, but it was also possible that he or she was a servant of someone of higher rank. As things stood, there was no other clue whatsoever to that person's identity apart from this.