Chapter 127- 129

Chapter 127- Zhang Chong's Route of Retreat and Yuwen Tong's Precautions

"Supervisor Zhao, do you think anything has happened in Tanyang? There were some unusual barks a moment ago."

When Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong went to the southern city gate, someone knocked at the door of room A of an inn in eastern Tanyang, and asked this question the moment he was allowed in.

Another man sat up in bed in a flurry of clothes. "Is there any news from the Prefecture Yamen?"

"Not for now."

"What about Ling family?"

"Well... Shall I go and recall the one staking out that place?"

Before long, the man who had just left came back. "Your Lordship, it is said that Ling family's carriage went to the Prefecture Yamen late at night and then returned not long after that."

"What happened in Ling family?" snapped Supervisor Zhao.

"Ur... we failed to find that out, but after that carriage returned, Ling family has been quiet all along, and there has been no news since then. Is it possible...Is it possible that something happened to the marshal?"

"It's not possible. The marshal is under protection of personal guards."

"Then what should we do now? Because of the presence of the marshal, sneaking into Ling family to check is not an option for us. Given that Ling Xingzhong has left Tanyang, we won't be able to fulfill the task Second Young Master assigned us any time soon."

"Then figure out a way to invite Ling Zhaowen to somewhere else tomorrow."

"I'll make some arrangements."

"Do it quick."

After the man left, Supervisor Zhao secretly cursed his bad luck. They had returned to Tanyang at a bad time — Ling Xingzhong had left Tanyang, which made Ling Zhaowen the only member of Ling family that was still in Tanyang. He had made some inquiries and had been informed that this Ling Zhaowen was far more difficult to deal with than Ling Xingzhong. 'If we are to have Ling family call off the engagement, achieving this by threatening Ling Zhaowen is definitely a long shot. It seems that I'll have to resort to adopting more ruthless means to this end,' thought Supervisor Zhao.

...

In the Prefecture Encampment.

"Commander, what do we do now?" Like Zhang Chong, all four deputy commanders had just been woken up, their clothes untidy, their faces ghastly pale.

Even Wang He, who had always been the most composed one in ordinary times, had a flustered look on his face. It was true that they had made a lot of preparations for mounting an armed revolt, but they would never take any action until their allies in the capital city were ready and success was certain. Currently, the time was far from ripe, not by any means, but everything was brought to light ahead of schedule.

To make things worse, both the Sixth Prince and Concubine Shu had been placed under house arrest, which meant that they didn't even have anybody to serve.

The army dispatched from the capital city had arrived. The secrets on the Grand Mang Mountain had been exposed. Would they be able to get away with this?

Submitting to arrest with folded hands? They would undoubtedly be sentenced to death.

'No. We can't wait to be arrested!'

"Commander, let's revolt!" said Wang He through gritted teeth.

All people looked at Wang He.

"Even if we don't revolt, we'll still end up being beheaded. If we revolt, at least we'll have a glimmer of hope of survival."