Chapter 538- 539

Chapter 538: The Reunification of the Three Countries

Two hours later, the city gates of the Luohai capital opened without notice.

The Great-Wen army were instantly on the alert, but then they saw that out of the city came a group of officials in robes, civil ones and military ones, a large number of citizens following in their wake.

Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang, who were looking in the direction of the city in the distance, saw this scene and exchanged a glance, knowing that the plan worked.

"Holy shit! What's going on? Wh–What do those people think they're doing?!" exclaimed Yuwen Jin, astonished.

"You moron. Isn't it obvious? They're here to surrender," said He Xiao, rolling his eyes at him.

Yuwen Jin's eyes widened. "Does that mean we don't have to attack the city any more?"

"What's the point of attacking the city when they've already surrendered?"

Soon, the troops of the Great Wen also fell to formation. Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang, followed by some officers, walked out of the encampment, halted a few paces away from the entrance and waited.

The Luohai official heading the team found his whole body tense, feeling as though his feet were growing heavier with his every step, but as he saw that Yuwen Tong had actually walked out of the encampment with some officers and was waiting near the entrance, he abruptly relaxed completely, mixed feelings instantly rising inside him.

There was no insult to the vanquished. No matter what Yuwen Tong's true thoughts were, at least on the surface he was showing them respect.

And that was enough for them.

...

" ... We're here to capitulate to Your Majesty and the Great Wen on behalf of all residents of this city. We petition Your Majesty to grant us permission to be your subjects. We ask for nothing but that Your Majesty show mercy to the residents of this city."

Luohai officials of all descriptions, along with the citizens in their wake, got down on one knee, the one in charge presenting an instrument of surrender with both hands.

Yuwen Tong's calm eyes swept across the group of people. Due to the air about him which was more powerful and brooding than anybody's, all those in front of him bowed their heads, appearing respectful or scared, not daring look up at him, foreheads of the couple of officials at the front covered in fine beads of cold sweat.

It was a few moments before Yuwen Tong took the instrument of surrender in that man's hands, unfurled it, read it and said, "Your petition's granted."

The subdued, nervous atmosphere instantly became relaxed. All those officials put their other knees to the ground and prostrated themselves.

"Thank you, Your Majesty!"

The citizens chorused the same words, their collective voices much louder than the officials'.

All members of the Great-Wen army behind Yuwen Tong, at the sight of this scene, threw out their chests, looking at Yuwen Tong with fervent reverie in their eyes.

...

Since the capital had capitulated, all the other cities gave up resisting and opened the gates to let the Great-Wen army in to take over.

Thus, the whole Luohai Kingdom was also subjected to the Great Wen's rule.

And the reunification of the three countries had been achieved in terms of territory.