Chapter 415- 417

Chapter 415: The "Sh" Sound of Snoring

This was a sleepless celebration night. Because of the imperial wedding, there was no curfew in the capital city on this night. The fireworks show lasted hours and didn't stop until shortly before midnight. Such were the spirits of the common folk that after midnight the streets were still seething with people, and the city was still a sea of joy when the banquet in the palace came to an end.

Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong took their leave first, and then the guests cleared out of the garden one after another. When Ling Xingzhong and Ji Yin were leaving, Ling Zhang showed up and walked them to the front gates of the palace before returning.

"My paternal grandfather drank some wine at the banquet and left at such a late hour. Also, he didn't look very well. It really worries me."

After returning from the palace gates where he'd parted from his elders, Ling Zhang said to Yuwen Tong while on his way to change clothes, "Great-uncle is even older than my paternal grandfather, and he drank even more wine tonight than my grandfather did, but he looked quite robust as though he hadn't drunk any wine at all."

On hearing this, Yuwen Tong, who was also changing out of his many layers of robes, replied, "Great-uncle started learning kung fu from my great-grandfather when he was a little boy, so his constitution is pretty strong. He used to serve in the army when he was at a younger age. It was after finishing his service in the army that he returned to the capital city to enter on a political career. He loves tai chi chuan and has still been practicing it every morning."

Thinking about his paternal grandfather's situation, Ling Zhang couldn't help but feel worried. "It's true that kung fu is a must for men. My paternal grandfather doesn't like exercise very much."

Yuwen Tong was the only one Ling Zhang would talk about this kind of private topic with. It was no good trying to persuade Ling Xingzhong. The old man was pretty stubborn, but there had been a time when he'd been learning some simple tai chi chuan moves from Ji Yin to stretch his limbs and improve his health, probably because he'd been motivated by Ji Yin's young appearance. He'd actually been in better shape than he'd been when he'd first come to the capital city. It was because of the wine and the long hours of banquet that he didn't look very well.

"If it bothers you so much, I'll take you back to the Ling Mansion to check on him tomorrow morning."

Yuwen Tong had wanted to suggest he send a court physician to the Ling Mansion, but then he'd recalled that Mr. Mu was there, so it was totally unnecessary to send a court physician. He could only let Ling Zhang return home to take a look the next morning, for it was the only way to help Ling Zhang find complete peace of mind.

After changing clothes, Ling Zhang thought about it for a brief moment and said, "I'll send Wang Dashan back to check on him. That'll do."

There was no court meeting the next day, but a holiday like this was very rare for Yuwen Tong, and Ling Zhang couldn't bring himself to have Yuwen Tong waste it by accompanying him to the Ling Mansion.

"Since there's no work tomorrow, you should go back home. You've been meaning to bring Maomao and Ji Xiaocong in here to let him play, haven't you?"

"I'll have Wang Dashan and the others bring the two of them here for good measure. Although there's no court meeting tomorrow, you still have a lot to attend to. I'll stay to keep you company."

No word was more persuasive than "I'll stay to keep you company." Yuwen Tong didn't insist Ling Zhang go back to the Ling Mansion the next morning.

"We sat there for quite a long time. How do you feel? Are you feeling any discomfort?"