Chapter 334- 336

Chapter 334: The Start of a War

Yuwen Tong had come and left in great haste. The two of them had only had a few romantic moments before parting.

In the wake of this visit was more frequent pre-war deployment of troops. More than half of the garrison in the headquarters inside the city were drafted out, leaving the rest guarding the border city in the rear.

On the day of the battle, although the infirmary in the city was very far away from the battlefield beyond the city walls, Ling Zhang could still faintly hear the thunderous beat of war drums, the quaking of the ground caused by numerous galloping horses and the battle cries of countless troops. Residents and soldiers in the city had all become used to it, their faces grave but not panic-stricken, appearing much more composed than Ling Zhang.

Ling Zhang's mind had been wandering frequently since morning. What with his sense of hearing which was much sharper than that of a common person, every time he heard something that sounded out of the ordinary, his back tensed and he looked in the direction of the battlefield.

His reaction didn't escape the notice of people around him, though he maintained a poker face.

"Don't worry, Childe Ling. The Marshal will surely win. We will surely win," a wounded soldier before him told him. This soldier's leg was hurt. There was a very deep slash in his thigh, and he was unable to walk right now, but the look on his face was one of deep faith, and he, surprisingly, offered some words of comfort to Ling Zhang who was changing his dressing and bandaging him.

Ling Zhang pulled himself out of his half-trance. At the sight of the assertive expression in the wounded soldier's eyes, he briefly paused. Touched by the unfaltering look in the soldier's eyes, he thought of something, twisted his head aside to look at the others and found that all those around him were gazing at him with the same expression in their eyes. It was only then that he came to realize the distant look on his face concerned them.

A warm glow slowly rose inside him. These people had an unswerving belief that the army of the Great Yue under the command of Yuwen Tong would win this war. He should've had as much faith in Yuwen Tong as they had.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have acted like this."

"Ur..." The wounded soldier embarrassedly scratched his head. "You don't have to say that, Childe Ling. We're a bunch of boors, but we know you're worried about the Marshal. What is it they say..."

"That although Childe Ling is here, his mind is with the Marshal!" said someone on the side immediately.

"Yeah, yeah. That's right. All of us could understand," said the first wounded soldier.

Ling Zhang's face, which was somewhat ashen with stress, slowly returned to normal. He gave a little cough. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Alas, don't be shy, Childe Ling. You and the Marshal get along well. We get it." The speaker dissolved into chuckle, and so did the others.

Amid the laughter, a pink flush slowly spread over Ling Zhang's cheeks and to his ear lobes. Faced with these men who talked in a frank and direct way, he was unable to extricate himself out of this situation and could only keep a poker face. Seeing this, the others continued chuckling friendly. When they had enjoyed it enough, they stopped and someone brought up another topic, trying to strike up a conversation with Ling Zhang, who, naturally, wouldn't ignore him. As the chat went on, his tense back gradually relaxed considerably.

Ling Zhaowu who was not far away saw this and gave a smile. Although on the surface, these soldiers seemed to be uncouth fellows who knew nothing, they actually could be quite considerate sometimes. With some quips, they successfully diverted Ling Zhang's attention away.