Chapter 58- 60

Chapter 58: A Small and Narrow Carriage

Yuwen Tong gazed at Ling Zhang for a while. Right at the instant when Ling Zhang couldn't help but feel uneasy beneath his gaze, Yuwen Tong said, "This carriage is sure to be spotted when we pass by the station of Prefecture Guard. There's a high risk that my identity will be exposed if I follow you on horseback."

Ling Zhang's brow corrugated in a brief frown. Indeed, Yuwen Tong couldn't afford to be exposed, given the circumstances. Though eager to have him get off the carriage, Ling Zhang forbore from doing so eventually and bade the driver depart. "Let's go." The driver raised his horsewhip, gave an order to the wheelers and the carriage started moving.

Ling Zhang was very uneasy with Yuwen Tong's presence. Not only was the whole carriage filled with Yuwen Tong's breath, but also he took up half of the room, which made physical contact inevitable. Ling Zhang's body involuntarily tightened, and his nerves went tense as well. All his attention was concentrated on this small, narrow space.

"Elder Brother?" Ling Maomao, who was leaning against Ling Zhang, also felt uncomfortable after Ling Zhang tensed his muscles. With his mental acumen, the little boy sensed Ling Zhang's unusual reaction, looking at him with a puzzled face.

Ling Zhang lowered his head and flicked a glimpse at him, saying, "What's wrong?"

Ling Maomao directly stretched out his hand and stroked Ling Zhang's body, curling his lip. "Uncomfortable."

Ling Zhang understood and his muscles went even tenser, because he distinctly heard Yuwen Tong chuckle.

"It's hard," Ling Maomao added.

Ling Zhang softly slapped Ling Maomao's little butt and said, "Sit by yourself."

Ling Maomao pouted and reluctantly moved aside to sit by himself, but Yuwen Tong stretched out his long arm, put it around Ling Maomao and drew him over.

Ling Maomao widened his eyes in surprise and soon discovered that Yuwen Tong's chest was broader, thicker than that of his elder brother and more comfortable to sprawl in. As if having just found something amazing, he delightedly leaned against Yuwen Tong's chest and said, "Thank you, Elder Brother Yuwen."

Ling Zhang was very unhappy to see Ling Maomao gladly let Yuwen Tong hold him. "Maomao, don't be impolite. Come here."

Ling Maomao was just about to stand up after hearing this when Yuwen Tong pressed his hands on Ling Maomao's shoulders and said, "It's okay. Just sit with me. I don't mind."

Without any hesitation, Ling Maomao sat back.

Ling Zhang darted an angry glance at him.

Ling Maomao, who happened to be looking outside scratching his head, didn't see this.

But Yuwen Tong did, a meaningful smile in his eyes.

Ling Zhang's expression briefly froze and he withdrew his gaze.

Fortunately, Yuwen Tong merely rested his eyes on Ling Zhang's face for a while. He made no other remarks to irritate him further.

The horse-drawn carriage progressed along the path. When they were crossing the woods outside the station of Prefecture Guard, Ling Zhang specially raised a corner of the curtain to look outside. As expected, he saw someone on a watchtower staring in his direction. And then someone went down the watchtower, probably heading for Zhang Chong's place to report.

The look in Ling Zhang's eyes went sullen.

"Commander, Ling Zhang's carriage is going back to the city." In the station of Prefecture Guard, someone immediately reported to Zhang Chong.