Chapter 217- 219

Chapter 217: The Official Horse Race and a Short Bolt

The line-ups of the two sides would be decided by drawing lots; the first three of each round would advance to the next round, and the race would end when the top three were decided.

There were six participants in the first round, three from the Imperial College, and the other three the Oriental Rite Academy.

Ling Zhang's round was among the last few, while Xun Huo who was not very good at this sport was to ride in the second round, which was fretting him so badly that he could scarcely get on his horse.

"Relax, just do as we previously agreed," Ling Zhang consoled him.

"Take it easy. Just stay out of their way and focus on riding. Put your safety first," Ji Feng also said.

All the others came to Xun Huo's comfort as well, telling him not to be nervous. Xun Huo inclined his head, took a deep breath, swung himself onto the horseback and trotted his horse to the starting line with great caution.

Since so many of them gathered together, a lot of people were tossing glances at them. Seeing Xun Huo's tense face, almost all of them had a shrewd idea of what was going on.

Students of the Oriental Rite Academy were very happy, while their opponents furrowed their eyebrows. One of the other two students of the Imperial College who were going to ride in this round with Xun Huo said, "What is wrong with you, Xun Huo? If you can't ride, quit right now so someone else can replace you. We don't need you to hold us back."

"I know how to ride. I'm just a little nervous, and I might not be able to ride as fast as you do," said Xun Huo, his face going scarlet.

"I don't know how you have the nerve to tell us you cannot ride fast. You want us to lose?!"

"You'll be an absolute disgrace to our college. I think you should withdraw."

The two students didn't respond to Xun Huo's candidness with understanding. Instead, they were annoyed and suggested Xun Huo quit.

Xun Huo, who had just relaxed somewhat, went nervous once again, his hands gripping the reins tightly.

"He'd only be an absolute disgrace to the Imperial College if he chickens out. Why are you instigating him to back out? Is it because you're moles planted by the Oriental Rite Academy?"

Suddenly, a voice was heard. Xun Huo's countenance instantly grew relaxed. He twisted his head back and saw Ling Zhang, Ji Feng and the others walking over. Ling Zhang was the one who spoke.

The other two students of the Imperial College, seeing the speaker was Ling Zhang, were noticeably less cocky. One of the two huffed, "Cut the nonsense. Given the state Xun Huo is in, wouldn't it be better if he lets someone else substitute him? He'd only waste an opportunity if he rides."

"All students of our college present are allowed to ride in this race. Anybody withdrawing will be wasting an opportunity. If you're afraid to lose face, why don't you just outride your opponents?" sniffed Ling Zhang.

The speaker still wanted to say something, but was stopped by his friend, so he had no choice but to shut his mouth, unconvinced.

Ling Zhang said to Xun Huo, "Ignore them. Just do what you're supposed to do."

Xun Huo gave an earnest nod. "Thank you."

Ling Zhang smiled, "For what? We're friends, remember?"

Xun Huo also couldn't help but give a faint smile. "You're right."

Seeing the two schoolmates of theirs didn't dare say anything else, Ling Zhang and the others returned to their original positions.

"These bastards always bully the weak but cower before the tough," Ji Feng huffed, glaring at the two schoolmates of his.