Chapter 439- 441

Chapter 439: They're Staying Right in the Village Head's House

Before exiting the city, Ling Zhang had a copy of the map of Taowang Village he'd just obtained delivered to the General Zhongwu (AKA the General of Loyalty and Valor). With this detailed map, they could now control all Shan Congyi's possible escape routes, take precautions and secretly have Taowang Village surrounded lest Shan Congyi fly the coop.

When Ling Zhang reached the outside of Taowang Village and rendezvoused with the guards, it was nightfall already and Yao Yi was preparing to sneak into the village.

"Wait." Ling Zhang stopped Yao Yi and then briefed him about the situation in Taowang Village. It was dark and, in order not to attract anybody's attention, they couldn't light any torches, so taking out the map wouldn't do any good and he could only use his words.

Fortunately Yao Yi was very experienced in this regard. He asked Ling Zhang quite some questions and then an idea of what the inside of Taowang Village was like took form in his mind.

"This is a token," said Jiang Yu, handing an ID plate to Yao Yi. "You may make contact with Wang Sheng if the occasion arises. Maybe he'll be able to get some more inside information from his father-in-law. From the vantage of the present, none of the family would be able to leave this village anytime soon, so I'm afraid you'll have to go to the trouble of meeting him to get the information he collects, Captain Yao."

Yao Yi took the plate. "I'll play it by ear, Childe Ling. There are many hidden sentries posted on the periphery of this village. The villagers were patrolling the perimeter during the daytime. I don't know whether they'll come out at night or not. You guys had better be careful."

"I know. You should keep your eyes peeled as well. There's no doubt Shan Congyi has some kung fu experts protecting him," cautioned Ling Zhang.

"I will," Yao Yi answered, pocketed the ID plate and put on a black mask, leaving only his eyes showing. And then, when it was completely dark, he crept towards Taowang Village.

There were still some villagers on duty at the village entrance after dark, vigilantly guarding the country bridle path leading into the village, appearing so alert as though they could be attacked at any moment. Given that the army in Jiangzhou had been laying low lately, it was only too obvious whom these villagers were keeping an eye out for.

It was not these villagers but those hidden sentries that Yao Yi needed to avoid being spotted by. Fortunately for him, during the day he'd had some men ascertain the positions of those hidden sentry posts already. Furthermore, he himself had some acquaintance with martial formations typically used by people of the Wan Kingdom, so although it took him some time, eventually he managed to successfully slip into Taowang Village without alarming any of the hidden sentries.

On entering Taowang Village, Yao Yi discovered that there were hidden sentries inside the village as well, but they were mainly in the midmost of it. There were only one or two sentries in other parts of the village. Compared with the periphery, the security here was much more lax.

This also indicated that almost all villagers were under their control. Apart from hidden sentries, he also had to elude the villagers.

It hadn't been long since night had fallen, and he could still see people walking around from time to time in the village. Yao Yi decided to stay put and wait for some time.

While he was biding his time, he overheard some private conversations between villagers, all of which were about the same thing.

"It's been so many days, but there's still no news. How much longer do we have to wait?"