Chapter 430- 432

Chapter 430: Departing for Jiangzhou- A Longing for Reunion (IV)

"I'm going to miss you. Don't sit in the consultation hall for too long. Eat your every meal on time. Don't you ever stay up all night writing instructions on memorials to the throne. Go to bed when it's bedtime."

The moment Ling Zhang finished these words, Yuwen Tong lapsed into silence. The two of them just looked at each other.

Watching this scene, Yao Yi and some others in the doorway were desensitized somewhat. Their marshal had been changing by the day since he'd started a relationship with Childe Ling. After one of them became the emperor, and the other the consort, they'd started changing at an even more alarmingly fast pace. The two of them being like this was something they'd never seen before, but they were totally unaffected by it, and they didn't care whether or not the two masters of theirs would do anything more shocking in the next moment.

At this time the right thing to do was look up into the sky and enjoy the bracing morning breeze.

They were all bachelors. Nobody would drum anything into their heads or miss them, so they were not jealous at all.

It was a long time before Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong finished bidding grudging farewell to each other, and it took Ling Zhang another long moment to walk out of the gates of the Infinite Fortune Palace, which he told Yuwen Tong should be the parting of the ways.

"You should go back. If you walk me any further, I wouldn't be able to leave. Go back." Ling Zhang firmly told Yuwen Tong to return.

Yuwen Tong stayed in the gateway of the palace, watching Ling Zhang's receding back, his hands balling into fists behind him.

...

Ling Zhang didn't dare look back. It struck him that this was the most difficult moment of parting he'd ever had. He hadn't got out of the sight of the Infinite Fortune Palace yet, but he felt as though all his insides had disappeared.

Yao Yi, Wang Dashan and all the others had disguised themselves and were nondescriptly clothed. They left the imperial palace through a side gate with Ling Zhang. It was very early and nobody noticed them. Progressing forward, all of them kept silent, mainly because Ling Zhang was silent.

Yao Yi, Wang Dashan and their men all didn't dare utter a word for fear of interrupting Ling Zhang's train of thought. It was not until they exited the city and met Jiang Yu waiting for them outside that the mood lightened slightly.

Ling Zhang cast an appraising look at a middle-aged man dressed like a guard behind Jiang Yu. He could tell at a glance that that man had kung fu skills and internal energy.

"It's an honor to kneel before you, Your Highness," chorused Jiang Yu and the guard, getting on their knees.

"You may rise. There's no need for formalities outside the palace. Just call me 'Childe Ling' as you used to," said Ling Zhang.

"Yes, Childe Ling." Jiang Yu rose to his feet and then introduced the man behind him to Ling Zhang. "This is my personal bodyguard Jiang Qi. He's the only one I'm taking with me."

Ling Zhang inclined his head. "Let's go. It's still early. We should start our journey right away."

Jiang Yu looked at him. Seeing the listlessness in his eyes and his lethargic bearing, he guessed the reason for it. A sensible man, he didn't make any remarks, mounted and followed in the wake of Ling Zhang's team.

Two hours later. In the consultation hall.

Yuwen Tong's mind wandered for a brief moment before he asked the man standing beside him, "What time is it?"