Chapter 304- 306

Chapter 304: Petrifying Aftermath

"What's going on?!" ranted the King Yu.

When their clothes caught fire, people within the ring of encirclement, regardless of which side they were on, were all seized by panic and tried madly to put out the fire on them, unable to defend themselves against the enemies' sabers. The situation was one of utmost disarray, clashes of weapons and burning soldiers' cries for help resounding around the whole battlefield. Roaring flames surrounded the two armies, pressing on towards them from all sides continuously.

The besiegers were waiting outside the inferno, killing everyone on sight who made it out of the fire.

Standing in the distance, Ling Zhang watched this scene, deeply astounded, wondering where this third army was from.

At this moment, Yuwen Tong returned, carrying the comatose emperor with him. He flicked a gauging look at the battleground and said, "They're the other half of the Palace Guards."

Ling Zhang's eyes dilated. "Aren't these people under the command of the Gu family? They have orders from the King Yu to defend the imperial palace. Why are them–"

"Clearly the Gu family have turned their coats," observed Yuwen Tong.

Ling Zhang was amazed.

"Actually this is a good thing for us. It'll spare us a lot of trouble," remarked Yuwen Tong flintily, watching the ongoing fight.

'The mantis stalking the cicada might fall prey to the siskin following in its wake', as the saying goes. "People of the Gu family are going to be the biggest winner in the end?" asked Ling Zhang.

"They won't. The emperor is still breathing. I've already instructed Yue Qi to inform the Northern City Garrison Battalion and have them enter the city to defend the imperial palace. Now we need to send the emperor back to the palace," said Yuwen Tong.

Ling Zhang tossed the unconscious emperor a glance, his face taking on a disgusted expression. "Didn't you say that we couldn't let him go back unharmed?"

Yuwen Tong lifted his eyebrows. "How do you know he's unharmed?"

Ling Zhang looked at Yuwen Tong, who leaned over and gave him a kiss. "I'm going back. You stay here and keep watch. Yao Yi will be back in a little while. Keep yourself hidden."

Ling Zhang inclined his head. "I'll be careful."

Yuwen Tong gave a nod and then left with the emperor on his shoulder. Predictably, before long Yao Yi showed up. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and glanced at the mounting sea of flames. "It seems that we've got them all in one fell swoop."

After a few moments, Xie Shi and Miao Shiba also arrived. The three of them crouched on boughs of trees around Ling Zhang, observing the situation on the battlefield.

This battle caused extremely heavy casualties. Hardly any soldiers of the King Duan's or the King Yu's army survived. They were either killed by weapons of the opposing side or burned to death or slaughtered after breaking through the ring of encirclement.

The King Yu also managed to make it out of the inferno and came to realize what was going on at the sight of the other half of the Palace Guards. When his eyes fell on the member of the Gu family in command, he was almost reduced to vomiting blood from fury. "The Gu family actually stooped to back-stabbing?!"

"Winner takes all. You should know this better than anyone, shouldn't you, Your Highness?" clucked that member of the Gu family, and then at a single motion of his hand, the King Yu and the couple of others who had just struggled out of the sea of fire were ringed. "Kill them."