Chapter 574- 575

Chapter 574: Spin-Off – Oddity (2)

Ji Xiaocong pulled a piccolo from his shoulder bag, held it to his lips and started to play a tune.

He was performing the piece with his internal energy. The intrinsically sedative effect of the melody, coupled with the mind-control techniques he was using while playing it, enabled him to placate people and even manipulate their moods.

Remarkably, the demented bridegroom, crimson-eyed, his internal energy leaking out, looking as if his body could explode at any moment, began to slow down due to this unexpected tune.

He was responsive to the piece!

The whole street was silent except for the sound issuing from the piccolo. The groom paused, twisted his head aside, listening hard, and after a few moments shifted his gaze in the direction of Ji Xiaocong.

The churning internal energy shielding him started thinning out, the blood streaks in his crimson eyes fading away, his face contorting with distress.

The secret bodyguards, taking advantage of this opportunity, mounted a concerted attack and restrained him as his defense weakened.

Ji Xiaocong was still playing the tune, the overpowered groom struggling violently. After some time, he completely cooled down and his eyes slowly became glazed. Before long, he sank to the ground.

It was only then that Ji Xiaocong stopped playing the piece and wiped the fine sheen of sweat from his brow.

Ling Maomao looked at him. "Are you feeling any discomfort?"

Ji Xiaocong shook his head. "I'm fine. This guy's symptoms look familiar, don't you think?"

Ling Maomao was astonished for a moment before his eyebrows contracted. "You mean this reminds you of those people on that island?"

Ji Xiaocong inclined his head. "He's just like them, those under some kind of enchantment. They went so crazy as to enhance their powers at the cost of their own vital essence and try to kill each other, utterly unable to control themselves."

Ling Maomao's frown deepened further. "But how come the same thing happened to someone in this place?"

Ji Xiaocong said, "That's what we need to look into."

Ling Maomao and Ji Xiaocong walked up to check the groom lying on the ground. An undercover bodyguard was holding a finger to the man's nose to see if he was still breathing.

"He fainted. For the moment his condition doesn't seem to be life-threatening," said the bodyguard.

"Don't let him die. This man went crazy without warning in suspicious circumstances. Keep an eye on him. We need to get to the bottom of this matter," said Ling Maomao.

The undercover bodyguard nodded.

Ling Maomao and Ji Xiaocong also performed a simple examination on the bridegroom and found that the man's symptoms were indeed very familiar – exactly the same as those of the men they had encountered on the island in the South Ocean, actually.

"We've got to tell my cousin and the others about this as soon as possible," said Ling Maomao.

Nobody could have foreseen that such a thing would suddenly happen to this man on his wedding day. It was so unexpected they could not help worrying that the same thing would happen to someone else. Ling Maomao and Ji Xiaocong, both having witnessed how horrible those people on that island had been, naturally did not want a repeat performance of that kind of thing in the capital city.

"His Majesty and His Highness have both gone to the Ling Mansion," said a secret bodyguard on the side.

Ling Maomao nodded and said to Ji Xiaocong, "Give me a moment to get the three kids down here."