Chapter 376- 378

Chapter 376: Yuwen Qi's Abnormal Behavior

"How dare you! The Marquess Huaiwen (AKA the Marquess of Moderation) is His Majesty's cousin. Concealing any accidents that happen in his family is punishable by death!" bawled the guard.

This guard, in order to curry favor with Ling Zhang, spared no efforts to press the servant into answering the question, which struck Ling Zhang as quite interesting.

Startled, the servant hurriedly replied, "I...I don't dare. It's really because... because some people died in the residence..."

"Some people died? What happened?" Ling Zhang knitted his brows, staring at him.

"It wa–was Second Young Master who beat them to death. Old Master is sick abed, and Second Young Master threatened to break his own legs if we didn't let him. We couldn't stop them, so I immediately came here to report to His Lordship so that he might return home to restrain Second Young Master," said the servant.

"Who died?" inquired Ling Zhang.

"Two house guards," answered the servant.

Ling Zhang looked at him for a few moments and then instructed the guard, "Let him through. Remember, don't breathe a word of this matter to anybody else."

"Yes, Childe Ling," the guard answered and then let the servant to go inside to see Yuwen Feng.

Ling Zhang glanced inside the Ministry of Rites. To his knowledge, Yuwen Qi had been placed under house arrest by Yuwen Feng. How come he had beaten two guards to death? It seemed that there would be yet another stink in Yuwen Zhi's branch of the Yuwen family. He had to inform Yuwen Tong of it.

Ling Zhang sent someone back to the imperial palace to tell Yuwen Tong about this matter, and then ordered some men to keep close watch on Yuwen Zhi's branch of the Yuwen family. After doing all this, he went back to the Ling Mansion.

...

No sooner had he walked into the living room than his whole family clustered around him.

"Big Brother! I'm so glad to see you back."

"Your face is all sweaty. You must be really tired."

"You've got everything done in the Ministry of Rites?"

"This wedding ceremony is so troublesome. There are too many rules."

"That Yuwen boy had you do it all by yourself once again? You should take a couple of days off and stay at home. Let those officials deal with those matters. Given that even the enthronement ceremony was handled by them, they won't have any problems taking care of a wedding ceremony, will they?"

Ling Xingzhong's and Ling Zhaowu's tones were normal, but the others – Ji Yin, for example – were talking in quite disapproving voices.

"Are you hungry? Your aunt made some ginseng chicken soup. Take a seat. I'll have someone proffer it to you." Ling Zhaowen pivoted around and headed for the kitchen so quick that Ling Zhang failed to stop him.

Ji Yanlai was the only one present who remained composed. The Clan Leader was leisurely sitting there, watching Ling Zhang being swamped with greetings and inquiries from his family. He smacked his lips, because he would like some chicken soup as well but was too embarrassed to ask.

Ling Zhang had a job handling his concerned elders. After he sat down, the chicken soup was served. The tantalizing aroma instantly made his mouth water.

"Dig in. It stewed for a very long time. The chicken meat is fully cooked," said Ling Zhaowen.

A delicious smell was wafting out of the crock placed on the table. Ling Zhang glanced around him and asked his uncle, "Where's my aunt? How is she?"