Chapter 109- 111

Chapter 109: A Riot in the Mine of Jia Family and the Murder of the Director

"What did you say? People of Jia family want to give the account book to Tao Feng?"

Before long, Zhang Chong was informed what had happened in Tanyang. In the knowledge that a mere mine director of Jia family dared to talk so wildly and threat him, Zhang Chong was infuriated. In fact, not only was he infuriated, he couldn't wait to kill that mine director named Cao Dong.

"Commander, if that account book falls into the hands of Tao Feng, he will get the goods on us. If by any chance he has it delivered to the capital city, His Majesty will surely order an investigation into it – if he doesn't believe it immediately. In that case, what we've been doing here will definitely be brought to light," said Bai Jun, a Deputy Commander, an anxious look on his face.

"Jia family is in a hurry to meet its end," replied Zhang Chong in a malevolent tone of voice, his face murderous. "Go and find that Cao Dong immediately. Kill him. Destroy the account book."

"But now everybody in Tanyang knows that Cao Dong has the account book. If he dies, we'll be prime suspects."

"We're facing an imminent crisis, and you still care about this? Do it clean. Even if they guess the truth, there will be nothing they could do in the absence of any definite proof."

"Ur... Yes, Commander!"

After Deputy Commander Bai Jun left, Zhang Chong thought for a while with a sullen face. Then he gave an order to his personal guard. "Get Wang Ming and Wang He here."

The personal guard followed the order and brought Wang Ming and Wang He, both of whom were Deputy Commanders, to the tent of Zhang Chong.

"Commander, what can I do for you?"

"Jia family must be eliminated, but the mine must stay in our hands. Wang Ming, make arrangements for one of your men to disguise as a rich merchant, go to Jia family and offer to buy the mine. If Jia Yin refuses to sell it, make him!"

Hearing the order, Deputy Commander Wang Ming was rather embarrassed. "Commander, it's very difficult for a strange merchant from another city to get Prefecture Yamen's permission to buy a mine. Even if I have someone disguise as a merchant and manage to force Jia Yin into agreeing to sell, we won't be able to get the mine without Tao Feng's consent."

"That's your problem. Make it work or see yourself relieved of your command," replied Zhang Chong.

Wang Ming and Wang He exchanged glances. Then Wang He said to Zhang Chong, "Commander, I have an idea. Would you please be so kind as to hear me out?"

"Go ahead."

"If a strange merchant makes a sudden offer for the mine, Tao Feng will no doubt turn it down, which is why we need to ask a local squire for help – someone from He family or Zhou family, for example. They're local squires, and we got the goods on them. As long as we put some pressure on them, they will obediently work for you, Commander.

This is the first half of my suggestion. As regards the other half, since Commander has already had an intention of eliminating people of Jia family, we might as well tamper with the mine and incriminate them. And then they'll be at your mercy and you can do whatever you want to them, and no suspicions will be aroused. Since your last memorial to the throne was turned down by His Majesty, I fear that there might be something covert at work in the capital city, so maybe we should stand low-key in Tanyang lest we catch anybody's attention and compromise the big plan of the Sixth Prince."

Wang He made these remarks in a very calm tone of voice. The sullenness and murderousness on Zhang Chong's face gradually dissolved. Seeing this, Wang Ming was secretly relieved.