Chapter 346- 348

Chapter 346: The Ling Family's Arrival in the Capital City

In the next few days, Miao Shiba still, on a daily basis, reported to Yuwen Tong everything Ling Zhang did. Meanwhile, every day Ling Zhang still ate three meals with Yuwen Tong. Every night Yuwen Tong came back from the consultation hall very late and could see without fail that Ling Zhang had been waiting for him all along. On one occasion, when Yuwen Tong returned, he walked in without having a guard pass word of his presence and found Ling Zhang giving huge yawns, his eyes watering from drowsiness caused by the long wait. At the sight of him entering, Ling Zhang immediately rose to his feet and made towards him.

Sometimes Ling Zhang went to the consultation hall to deliver some late-night snack to him and then stayed there to help him sort memorials to the throne.

"A staff member of the Ministry of Rites paid Childe Ling a visit during the day to deliver to him a thick pile of pamphlets about the ritualistic rigmarole of the wedding ceremony. After reading them, Childe Ling wanted a couple of the steps omitted, saying that they were too time-consuming and cost too much money, that right now the imperial court needed money to help the people restore their lives and he should cut down the expense as much as he could," Miao Shiba reported to Yuwen Tong.

"He's consulted with the Ministry of Rites about it already?" asked Yuwen Tong.

"Not yet. There are too many of the formalities, and Childe Ling has no acquaintance with any of them, so it took him quite some time to familiarize himself with them. He hasn't found the time to confer with the Ministry of Rites yet. Currently, staff members of the Ministry of Rites are occupied with the preparatory work for your enthronement. As far as I could tell, Childe Ling seems to intend to wait until after the enthronement to discuss it with people of the Ministry of Rites," answered Miao Shiba.

Miao Shiba cast a look at Yuwen Tong and then continued, "In the past couple of days Childe Ling has been bustling around from dim dawn to dark. What with the tons of chores in the imperial palace and the wedding preparations, he couldn't hardly spare any time to rest, except when he dines with you at dinner time. There has been nothing out of the ordinary about Childe Ling over the last few days. With all due respect, I don't think Childe Ling is keeping anything back from you, Sire."

Yuwen Tong's countenance remained unchanged. He just flicked Miao Shiba a glance.

Miao Shiba hurriedly bowed his head, breaking out in a cold sweat.

But Yuwen Tong didn't reprove him. He just told him matter-of-factly, "All you need to do is continue to keep watch on him."

"Yes, Sire," Miao Shiba hastily answered.

Yuwen Tong followed Miao Shiba with his eyes as he left. He was not angry with Miao Shiba for his taking the liberty of making that comment. Miao Shiba was his personal bodyguard and was supposed to obey every order from him, but Yuwen Tong also hoped his bodyguards would care about Ling Zhang just as much and bear Ling Zhang's safety in mind all the time. As a result, Yuwen Tong wasn't annoyed about Miao Shiba's attempt to defend Ling Zhang. He just wondered what Ling Zhang was concealing from him exactly.

Ling Zhang was indeed very tired due to the hectic schedule. At this moment he was fast asleep, unaware of what Yuwen Tong had left to do after he drifted off. When Yuwen Tong returned to the bed and took him in his arms, Ling Zhang just subconsciously wriggled in Yuwen Tong's embrace, shifting into a more comfortable lying position, snoring lightly, bearing a similarity to Whitie the fox in its sleep. Yuwen Tong planted a kiss on his cheek.

...

Yuwen Tong worked day and night in the consultation hall for ten solid days before he finally had all the pressing state affairs settled. Governors of the many prefectures were coming into the capital city one after another. The Wan Kingdom's and the Luohai Kingdom's replies had also arrived, both saying they would send some top-ranking officials and imperial family members to attend the wedding ceremony. It was at this point in time that members of the Ling family arrived in the capital city.