Chapter 566- 567

Chapter 566: A Journey to the South Ocean (24)

Presumably because he had been cooped up in this hellhole where he had had nobody to talk with for too long, the old man, having struck up a conversation, seemed unable to stop speaking, and he was particularly enthusiastic about Ling Zhang, calling Ling Zhang "kiddo" every time he addressed him.

"Thank you," said Ling Zhang.

"Much as I want to accept your gratitude, I know very well that I'm the one who should say thank you, because the halidom wouldn't have presented itself were it not for you. You changed many people's fates and put an end to the troubled times, which was really a meritorious deed," said the former clan leader.

Ling Zhang shook his head. "It was my marriage partner rather than me who brought the troubled times to an end."

Yuwen Tong, who had been silently walking side by side with him all along, did not interpose. Maybe because of the carry-over from the reverie, his spirits were not very high.

The former clan leader glanced at Yuwen Tong. "You two are supplementary to each other. Neither can thrive when separated from the other. Previously the bane of your life was at work, which was why things turned out that way in your last life. Fortunately the situation was not beyond redemption."

Yuwen Tong still remained silent.

The former clan leader gave a little cough. Probably having perceived that Yuwen Tong was not in a good mood and preferred to be left alone, the old man felt somewhat bored and shifted his attention to Ling Zhang again.

"I daresay your destiny was entwined with that of the Phoenix Clan the moment you were born, kiddo. You have the Blood of the Phoenix Clan, and now everybody acknowledges you as an incarnation of a real phoenix. Your life is worth much more than mine," added the former clan leader.

Ling Zhang, who had not bargained on him making such remarks, was at a loss for words, but then something occurred to him. "You should be able to tell that my father ... "

"Oh, your father. Although I don't know why he was reborn either, I think it was kind of a twofer," replied the old man.

Ling Zhang, " ... "

A twofer?

The former clan leader, apparently amused by the flummoxed expression on Ling Zhang's face, continued, "Maybe the halidom was grateful to you for helping it reappear in this world, so it gifted you with a father."

Ling Zhang, " ... "

At this moment, Yuwen Tong asked, "What is this halidom?"

"Well, it's right there," responded the former clan leader. "See for yourselves."

After walking for quite some time, they finally reached the end of the passageway. They had taken so many turns that Ling Zhang was almost disorientated. But the passageway inclined gently all the way downward, which meant that they had been going deeper underground from start to finish. Now they were probably at the lowest point of the island. Waves of scorching heat were billowing up towards them, and they finally saw some light, but the light was red in color.

"There are downward steps ahead. Be careful," said the former clan leader before resuming progressing.

Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong exchanged a glance and then followed in the wake of the old man. They turned out of the end of the passageway and were greeted by a cavern, high-roofed and enormous. The most conspicuous part was the fiery flowing magma at the bottom, which was slowly circling a circular platform in the midmost, and which was the very source of the scalding heat.