Chapter 268- 270

Chapter 268: Wild Fantasies? Intrigues?

Su Yaoyao hurried off from the corner, instructed her handmaid accompanying her not to breathe a word of it to anybody, quietly returned to her courtyard house and found Mrs. Su, her mother.

"Mother, there seems to be something going on in Aunt's family. I saw a handmaid sent to the first branch of the Yuwen family to help prepare for the wedding stealthily come back and tell Aunt that something was done, and Aunt was ravished with joy at the message," Su Yaoyao said to Mrs. Su in an undertone.

Mrs. Su's face took on a serious expression. "Did you hear what was done exactly?"

Su Yaoyao shook her head. "That handmaid didn't give any details. I find it very strange that Aunt suddenly made an apology to Yu... to Marshal Yuwen, suggesting they wipe the slate clean. Do you think Aunt by any chance has secretly done something?"

Mrs. Su rose to her feet, walked around the room and then said, "We need to figure out a way to find out about it. I'll go and pay her a visit. You stay here and wait for me."

Su Yaoyao wanted to go with her, but Mrs. Su had already hurried out of the room, so Su Yaoyao had no alternative but to give up.

When Mrs. Su arrived at the doorway of Zheng shi's courtyard house, Zheng shi was just about to leave to see Yuwen Qi and was quite surprised to learn that Mrs. Su came to visit her at this hour of the day, but she couldn't treat Mrs. Su the same way she did Su Yaoyao, so although bursting to share the good news with her younger son, Zheng shi subdued her urge and went to meet Mrs. Su.

"What brings you here, Sister?" said Zheng shi.

Mrs. Su didn't go straight to the point but made small talk with Zheng shi for a while. Seeing Zheng shi begin to show unmistakable signs of anxiety in her eyes, Mrs. Su grew more positive that Zheng shi had something urgent to attend to. Taking advantage of this opportunity, she casually started trying to worm the truth out of her.

Eventually, Zheng shi became suspicious. "Why do you keep making inquiries about the first branch, Sister?"

Mrs. Su replied, "Nothing escapes your discerning eyes, Sister. I and Yaoyao have been staying in your house all this time, relying on you for survival. And these days, people of the first branch have been making preparations for the wedding. It concerns me that if by any chance I and my daughter come into some kind of contact with any of them, we'd be putting you in an awkward position, Sister."

Zheng shi didn't think Mrs. Su was lying. On hearing this, she said, "You and Yaoyao may dismiss all worries from your mind and just live in this house. Nobody would dare pick on you, Sister, I guarantee you that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and check on Qi'er."

Mrs. Su stood up as well. "How about I go with you, Sister?"

Zheng shi intended to talk with Yuwen Qi in private and didn't want Mrs. Su to be in her way, so she made a few more remarks to dismiss Mrs. Su and then hastily left.

Mrs. Su's face darkened the moment she left Zheng shi's courtyard house. After returning to her own place, she told Su Yaoyao, "I couldn't worm anything out of her. She was impatient to see Yuwen Qi and dismissed me in haste."

When Mrs. Su mentioned Yuwen Qi, a distressed and hesitant expression appeared on Su Yaoyao's face. "Mother, are we really going to do what that person told us to? Actually Second Cousin is also a very good man–"

"You are not seriously stupid enough to fall for his lies?" spat Mrs. Su, frowning, expecting her daughter to see sense.

"I don't really have anything Second Cousin needs to tell lies to get," contradicted Su Yaoyao in a muted voice. "If I marry Second Cousin, I'll get part of the ownership of that bank as well. Besides, Second Cousin is actually very good to me."