Chapter 421- 423

Chapter 421: Respective Sinister Motives of Other Sides

After seeing Ji Yin and the others off, Ling Zhang returned to the imperial palace. Yuwen Tong, who could tell from his sad face that he was upset and dispirited, informed him of something to distract his attention.

"Diplomatic corps of all the three foreign countries sent word that they're leaving."

"All of them?"

Ling Zhang's attention was immediately drawn to this matter. "I'm not surprised that diplomatic corps of the Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom are leaving. How come the diplomatic corps of the Fangcun Kingdom are leaving as well? Didn't they bring some caravans here? To my knowledge, those caravans haven't returned yet."

Yuwen Tong tapped the table and said, "Hai Feng's explanation is that they need to go back to attend their king's birthday party. He also showed me an invitation bearing their king's signature, saying that their king invited him to his birthday party."

"The King of Fangcun's birthday party? Is his birthday really coming up?"

"Yeah. Still, it might be just an excuse."

Ling Zhang pondered for quite a while before he said, "Maybe I should have my father ask Luo Sang about it. They've been actively cooperating with us, so if there's anything he could disclose, he definitely wouldn't keep it back from my father."

Yuwen Tong inclined his head. "All right."

...

At the same time. In a courier hostel.

There were densely posted guards both in and outside the courier hostel, most of whom were bodyguards brought to the Great Wen by the diplomatic corps of the three foreign countries. Normally, the host country wouldn't station any soldiers in a courier hostel. It was considered to be some kind of token of respect for envoys from foreign countries.

"So what do you say, Your Highness? You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by accepting these terms of the deal. If you don't make a decision soon, the situation will get very unfavorable for our plan."

Guards from the Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom could be seen standing at short intervals both in and outside this house, keeping potential eavesdroppers away. Shan Congyi was sitting opposite Mu Rongfeng, gazing squarely at the latter. The two of them were the only ones in this room, and nobody but themselves could hear their conversation.

"Prince Yi, let's be honest with each other. On the surface I'll be getting the better end of the bargain by accepting these terms, but the precondition is that the plan succeeds. What makes you so sure it'll work when there's such great risk involved?" asked Mu Rongfeng, looking back at him.

"Are you getting cold feet, Your Highness?" sniffed Shan Congyi. "Yuwen Tong sure as hell craves vengeance for our concerted attack on his country. The only reason why he hasn't taken any action yet is because this country is facing the same trouble that the Wan Kingdom is. He needs more time to rebuild strength, stabilize the political situation and consolidate his position. Once he hits his stride and the Great Wen recovers from the aftermath of the war, we'll come to grief. Surely Your Highness won't just stand by and wait for him to attack?"

"Yuwen Tong is welcome to try if he thinks he stands a chance of winning," observed Mu Rongfeng, a cold look on his face.

Shan Congyi chuckled, "Have you forgotten what else we came here for apart from Yuwen Tong's enthronement ceremony and wedding, Your Highness? You don't really need me to remind you of it, do you?

Yuwen Tong is nothing like his fatuous and self-indulgent predecessor of the Zhou family. He's like a ferocious tiger, one that might bite us at any moment. If we don't deal him a lethal blow while he's not at his full strength, his fangs will sink into our body sooner or later."