Chapter 145- 147

Chapter 145: The Marshal Was Instructing Us Himself?

It was Yuwen Tong who noticed that there seemed to be something behind Ling Zhang's silence. "What's wrong?"

Subconsciously, Ling Zhang shook his head. "Nothing."

Yuwen Tong squinted his eyes. Clearly, Ling Zhang was keeping something back from him.

Ling Zhang, beneath his gaze, was afraid of being found out and intended to change the topic. Before he could speak, Yuwen Tong persisted, "You don't want to move into the residence of Yuwen family?"

Taken aback, Ling Zhang immediately responded without thinking, "It's not about that!"

Yuwen Tong squinted his eyes even further, which were alarmingly piercing, as if he would see straight into Ling Zhang's soul.

Ling Zhang was transfixed with such nervousness that he was involuntarily trying to keep his breathing shallow.

"Someone told you something. Tell me –was it your grandfather or your uncle?"

This reply sent Ling Zhang speechless.

He had not uttered a single word about it, yet somehow Yuwen Tong guessed everything. 'How did he come to know me so well?!' he wondered.

"It's–It's just that..." Ling Zhang gave a soft cough, steeled himself and told the truth. "I intend to buy a house in the capital city, a spacious one."

Before Yuwen Tong could make a reply, Ling Zhang hurriedly continued, "Let me explain. I plan to start a business. Currently, my family sell our herbs to other stores in the city. This time, I want to open a drug store in the capital city selling medicinal materials transported there from Tanyang. I know it's not going to be easy, of course. Building a trade caravan alone will take quite some doing, but at least Ling family will gradually gain a foothold in the capital city and will no longer be so vulnerable as to have no other social contacts there. Apart from this, I also have a plan to study in the Oriental Rite Academy."

Ling Zhang told Yuwen Tong about his general future plan. In order to make his words more convincing, he added through gritted teeth, "You also don't like the idea of me being able to leave whenever I want to, I suppose? If Ling family has a business foundation in the capital city, theoretically, I will settle down there."

Yuwen Tong gazed at him, making no instant response.

Ling Zhang looked back at him in perturbation and nervousness.

Suddenly, Yuwen Tong heaved a sigh and replied, "Then let's do it your way."

Eek? Ling Zhang was surprised. "You agreed?"

"If I disagree, will you be racking your brains trying to figure out a way to convince me?"

Ling Zhang flicked him an embarrassed glance, thinking, 'O–Of course I will.'

"Then let's do it your way. You've got a point, actually. With your family business there, I won't have to worry that you might leave. But I'll buy the house for you. The capital city is more familiar to me than it is to you, so I stand a better chance of buying you a house in an area with more convenient transportation. Also, I'm more experienced than you in how to revamp a house to make it more defensively advantageous. Rest assured, after buying it, I'll consult with you before the revamp."

Ling Zhang fixed him with a look in silence for quite a while and then replied in a deep voice, "Okay."

What could possibly worry him when Yuwen Tong had promised to handle this for him? It was just that he had owed Yuwen Tong yet another favor...