Chapter 564- 565

Chapter 564

Yuwen Tong had just managed to grasp the main idea of the tirade when he was further flummoxed by the next battery of questions, and this time he did not have the time to sort them out.

"No. I was never in a relationship with anybody," answered Yuwen Tong almost immediately after Ling Zhang finished speaking.

He did not know the one he was talking to, but curiously enough, for some reason, he panicked every time the invisible speaker sounded upset.

"Everybody in Shengzhou Pass knows I've been single for many years. If you don't believe me, you can ask anybody else in this city," added Yuwen Tong in the hope that the invisible speaker would drop the idea of him being in a relationship with someone. It struck him that this person he was unable to see was very close to him. If what this person said was true, it would mean that the two of them had been together for many years, that they were closer to each other than either of them was to anybody else.

Yuwen Tong found this conclusion satisfying and pleasant, which was a feeling he had never had before. It was like the loneliness in his heart was replaced by contentment which filled his whole being. Such satisfaction was more intense than anything he had ever felt before, and he was becoming obsessed with it and fascinated by it in spite of himself ...

Yuwen Tong was not a fool. He trusted his instincts. Though still somewhat skeptical, he had believed more than half of the story. So this was really the Shengzhou Pass over a decade ago? He would subjugate the Wan Kingdom over a decade from now? This news was so surprising and spirit-lifting.

"If what you said is true, I have no idea why I came back here either. Seeing as you and I are so close, you should know about the reason better than I do," Yuwen Tong continued.

Ling Zhang's heart which had been sinking inexorably seemed to be pulled up a little. In a rather perplexed tone, he asked, "Y–You don't have an old flame?"

"I don't," said Yuwen Tong.

"Oh, oh." Ling Zhang was both relieved and faintly flustered. A few moments ago he had been so anxious that he had let his jealousy get the better of him. Yuwen Tong had never lied to him before.

If by any chance Yuwen Tong still remembered everything that had happened in this reverie after they got out ...

Ling Zhang gave an involuntary shudder, not daring follow that train of thought.

"What's the matter? Why are you silent?" asked Yuwen Tong in spite of himself as he perceived that the invisible speaker had been silent for a long moment, brow wrinkled.

Ling Zhang looked at him. "I shouldn't have said that just now. Please don't be mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you." Yuwen Tong was puzzled. "Why would I?"

Ling Zhang did not know how to explain it.

"If you still remember this conversation after you come around ... Ahem ... I mean if you still remember, will you please be cool about it as well?"

Now Yuwen Tong caught on to it. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Well ... I can't guarantee you that. Apart from everything else, I don't have any memories of what happened between us, and you shouldn't take advantage of me."

Ling Zhang's face immediately crumpled up. He would never dare take advantage of Yuwen Tong. He would be immensely thankful if Yuwen Tong was not angry with him after recalling this.

Worried that Yuwen Tong's memory about this would be enhanced if they continued talking about it, Ling Zhang hastened to change the topic. "Since it's not a person that you're obsessed with, it must be a particular matter. But ... I've never heard you mention any regrettable things that happened at this point in time. Jiang Xi and Jiang Ke never said anything about it, and neither did Yao Yi or any of the others. If something did happen, they should have mentioned it."