Chapter 148- 150

Chapter 148: The Arrival of An Imperial Edict

"An imperial edict is going to be delivered to your family tomorrow morning. Please get prepared to welcome the edict bearer.

Marshal, His Majesty also specially sent a message to you, so please get prepared as well."

The one who had come to Ling family was responsible for informing them beforehand that an imperial edict was about to be delivered to them, so that they could make preparations for welcoming the edict bearer.

Ling Zhaowen, on behalf of the whole family, expressed gratitude to the messenger. The man then told Yuwen Tong about the message from the emperor.

"I see," replied Yuwen Tong.

"Then I think it's time for me to leave. I still have to go to the Prefecture Yamen and the Prefecture Encampment to inform them," said the man.

Ling Zhang saw that man out of the residence. At the gateway, the man declined Ling Zhang's kind offer to walk him further and then left.

The arrival time of this imperial edict would be neither too early nor too late. It would be the exact time that Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong had anticipated.

"Once the imperial edict arrives, we shall depart for the capital city," observed Yuwen Tong.

Ling Zhang inclined his head. Though having been prepared for this for quite some time, the thought of leaving home still made his heart ache.

Because of the imperial edict that was going to be delivered to them, people of Ling family started bustling again.

The next morning, the team responsible for delivering imperial edicts arrived in Tanyang. They came to the residence of Ling family first, so people of Ling family had not waited long.

The day before, when the messenger told people of Ling family there was an imperial edict for them, they thought that the emperor just sent them a short message in passing, that the edict meant for Yuwen Tong was the more important one.

Unexpectedly, in the first imperial edict, the emperor complimented Ling family –Ling Xingzhong, to be precise. The general meaning was that the early resignation of Ling Xingzhong had been quite a pity, that if it weren't for the old age of Ling Xingzhong, he would have recalled Ling Xingzhong to the capital city and reinstated him. After that, the emperor praised Ling Zhaowen and motivated him to work hard, saying that he would grant Ling Zhaowen a promotion as long as he passed the test two years later. After praising Ling Zhaowen, the paid Ling Zhang a compliment, saying that since Ling Zhang was intellectually talented and moral, he had decided to specially offer him a place at the Imperial College. The last part of the edict was about a handsome reward granted to Ling family.

At first they were confused, but afterwards they understood what was going on.

The emperor's compliment was nothing but fancy words. The place at the Imperial College granted to Ling Zhang was the only thing with practical meaning, and there was nothing else.

But even if Ling Zhang had not been offered this place at the Imperial College, he could still go to the Oriental Proprieties Academy, which was just as good as the Imperial College. Since the academic atmosphere had raised some concerns during these years, Ling Zhang believed that by comparison, the Oriental Proprieties Academy was actually a much better choice.

Ling Zhang felt rather awkward but still had to respectfully express his gratitude and take the edict with both hands.

Yuwen Tong also had a slightly cold look in his eyes in the knowledge that there had been a lot of scandals concerning the Imperial College over the past few years, that the emperor's offer to let Ling Zhang study in that college was by no means a kind one.