Chapter 160- 162

Chapter 160: Go Wherever You Find Comfortable and Leave Me Alone

After being informed that the gift Yao Yi and others had given to Ling Zhang was a white fox cub, Wang Dashan had a somewhat different expression in his eyes when he looked at Yao Yi.

Just like a craftsman who feared that his apprentices would some day obsolete him after they learned all his skills, Wang Dashan was deeply worried that Yao Yi and others might some day replace him and the other twenty-three security guards as trusted subordinates of their young master.

"Where did you get that white fox cub?" Wang Dashan inquired of Yao Yi.

Yao Yi, unaware of Wang Dashan's complicated feelings, replied in a delighted tone of voice, "We bought it. Originally we had intended to buy a puppy, but as luck would have it, a hunter was selling fox cubs he'd found in a fox den, so we purchased the best one."

"Where are the others?" asked Wang Dashan.

"There were only three in total. And all of them were sold almost immediately. A lot of childes and ladies from rich families were fascinated by those little creatures at first sight and scrambled for them. Fortunately we were quicker than them," responded Yao Yi smugly.

Wang Dashan felt slightly regretful in the knowledge that all of them had been sold so soon.

...

Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong went into the streets and did find someone who knew about raising foxes. They bought adequate food the white fox cub needed and also wrote down all the tips on raising it.

After that, they resumed their journey carrying the white fox cub with them.

After ten days, they arrived in northern Cangzhou. On that night, they checked into the largest inn in the city. They were only two days' journey away from the capital city.

Given that they had been traveling for ten consecutive days, Yuwen Tong decided to let them have a day's rest in the city before departure. Except for a couple of small counties, the capital city would be the only place that they could get a good rest, but currently, it was inadvisable to hurry into the capital city.

This time even Zhao Pingchuan and Zhang Xi didn't feel any displeasure. After ten days' non-stop travel, the two of them were also exhausted.

"Are you nervous?" Since they were very close to the capital city, Yuwen Tong asked Ling Zhang whether he was nervous or not.

After hearing this question, Ling Zhang carrying the white fox cub replied, "I would be lying if I tell you that I'm not nervous, but what I'm nervous about is why there is yet another guy who wants me dead."

This reply gave Yuwen Tong a somewhat guilty conscience. "Maybe you should move in with me. I'm not comfortable with the idea of you living elsewhere."

"I cannot run from them forever. And I'd like to find out who it is that want to see me dead. I might be weak, but I'm not going to let them get what they want too easily."

Yuwen Tong, seeing Ling Zhang was still stroking the white fox cub in his arms and didn't even raise his head to glance at him, felt somewhat upset. "I got your back. I'll see that you come to no harm."

Ling Zhang raised his eyes and flicked him a glimpse. "You'll be having no less troubles than I will when we're in the capital city."

The troubles waiting for him in the capital city didn't really bother Yuwen Tong, because every time he returned to the capital city, there were always pulsing undercurrents of various kinds running through the city, which was something he had long ago become accustomed to.