Chapter 181- 183

Chapter 181: He's Indeed a Talent

On the table was a long, unrolled piece of cloth, on which rows of thin needles of different lengths were fixed. These needles alone made the security guards' blood run cold. There was also a large bathtub on the side, which contained black decoction giving off a weird odor beyond description. Xie Shi informed them that the decoction inside was poisonous, that Wang Dashan and others were to go in there one by one to test their sensitivity to the decoction. Apart from these, Xie Shi had also prepared quite a lot of phials and pots, some of which contained poison, and the others antidotes. Wang Dashan and other security guards were to observe the contents with all methods they could think of, ingest those they believed to be antidotes and then state the reason.

In other words, it was very likely that they might mistakenly consume poison.

Even Yao Yi and other bodyguards were somewhat scared as they saw the things that Xie Shi had prepared, let alone Wang Dashan and other security guards. If anyone of them survived all these, he could definitely count himself extremely lucky. Wang Dashan and others were so nervous that cold sweat was oozing out of their backs continuously, and their clothes were soaking wet. They feared that they might kick the bucket after a small mistake. As a result, when Yue Qi showed up, all of them looked in his direction with expectant eyes, as if he were their savior.

Yue Qi, who was just about to speak, was startled by their gaze and gave a hiccup. "Wh–Why are you giving me that look?"

"What business do you have here?" Xie Shi impatiently slid him a sideways glance.

Yue Qi pointed in the direction of the main courtyard house and responded, "The Marshal and Childe Ling returned."

Yao Yi was amazed. "At this hour?"

Yue Qi inclined his head. "The Marshal didn't seem very happy."

On hearing this, Xie Shi put down the needle in his hand. "The Marshal took Childe Ling back to Yuwen family this afternoon. It seems that things didn't go very well there."

No longer in the mood for these things, they all went to the main courtyard house.

At this time, Ling Zhang had changed into a lighter outfit and walked outside. Seeing Yuwen Tong was not in the room, he was surprised and called, "Yuwen Tong?"

"I'm in the study." Yuwen Tong's voice came from the study.

Ling Zhang hurried there and found that Yuwen Tong had also changed clothes. Seeing him writing something, he walked over and asked, "What are you writing?"

"A dispatch to my men in the border area," responded Yuwen Tong.

"Did something happen?" Ling Zhang queried in worry.

Yuwen Tong replied, "A small group of soldiers were seen wandering near the border with unknown intentions. Jiang Ke wrote me a letter and reported it to me."

While speaking, he finished the letter and with that he put it into a special correspondence-tube and had someone take it out to be delivered to the border areas.

Ling Zhang carefully observed Yuwen Tong's countenance and saw that the displeasure he had returned with was gone. Feeling slightly relieved, he said, "Envoys of the Wan Kingdom are still in our capital city. It's not likely that they would be so bold as to make any trouble that might lead to another war."

Yuwen Tong shook his head. "Waging another war is definitely not on their to-do list, but they might not necessarily be afraid to make trouble. I told Jiang Ke and others to keep a close watch on them and find out what it is that they intend to do."