Chapter 178- 180

Chapter 178: A Sharp Contrast

Yuwen Jin's father in front flicked a backward glance at them and gave an affected cough.

This time it was Yuwen Tong who shut up.

Ling Zhang at a loss for words.

Yuwen You had long ago moved out of the residence of Yuwen family to maintain an independent house, but his family was now much larger than Yuwen family. The reason for this was known to everybody – too many members of Yuwen family had died on the battlefield. Even Yuwen Zhi had only two sons left. In the large residential compound of Yuwen family, a lot of courtyard houses had stood unoccupied for years, which was quite a poignant contrast to the liveliness in Yuwen You's family.

Thinking of this, Ling Zhang couldn't help but feel sad for Yuwen Tong, but Yuwen Tong seemed to have long ago got used to this kind of scene and didn't feel upset at all.

'It would be so nice if Yuwen Zhi were not out of tune with Yuwen Tong. At least things wouldn't have ended up like this – Yuwen Tong wasn't even willing to go back to his own home first after returning.' Ling Zhang thought a lot. Even he himself was startled by some of his thoughts after they occurred to him, but after flicking a glance at Yuwen Tong, he still didn't dismiss those thoughts from his mind, for he didn't have the heart to do that.

"What's wrong?" The moment Ling Zhang's mind wandered away, Yuwen Tong noticed it.

Ling Zhang collected himself and shook his head in an effort to keep Yuwen Tong from guessing what he was thinking. Nobody wanted other people's sympathy in this kind of circumstances, especially Yuwen Tong.

"I'm just surprised that you're on such good terms with them."

Yuwen Tong gave a smile. "They don't stir up trouble."

After having been fighting enemies at the front risking life and limb for so many years, he was fully aware of which ones had never been a drag on him, and which ones had never made trouble for him.

Ling Zhang heaved a sigh. He could fully empathize with Yuwen Tong.

On the other side, Yuwen Hong and a couple of others, seeing Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong whispering to each other, exchanged knowing winks and dissolved into snicker.

"It never crossed my mind that some day our cousin would end up like this as well," observed Yuwen Jin under his breath.

"Previously, when he came back here and saw me talk with your sister-in-law for just a short while, he would always say that we were saccharine. Now I think he himself is much more saccharine than us," said Yuwen Hong.

"This is so weird. Do you think by any chance our uncle's father's spirit is really at work? Otherwise, how did he come to get it into his thick skull that it's time he found himself someone and got married?" commented Yuwen Han.

Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang, who had exceptionally good hearing, heard each and every word of the three brothers' private conversation.

Embarrassed, Ling Zhang immediately stepped aside, keeping a certain distance away from Yuwen Tong.

But the expression on Yuwen Tong's face was extremely natural and unhurried. 'How could Yuwen Hong and his wife compare with me and Ling Zhang?'

They entered the living room and sat down. Yuwen You first asked Yuwen Tong about the situation in border areas, and then asked Ling Zhang about the situation in his family. After hearing the replies of Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang, he inquired of them, "Do you have any specific plans? Have you fixed a date for your wedding?"