Chapter 199- 201

Chapter 199: A Provocation on the First Day of School

Early the next morning, Yuwen Jin came to pick up Ling Zhang and the two of them went to the Imperial College together.

In the carriage, apart from Ling Zhang and Yuwen Jin, there were also Yuwen Jin's study-servant (a boy serving in someone's study) and that of Ling Zhang. The latter was Miao Shiba, the youngest member of the squad of bodyguards of Yuwen Tong, who was thin and seemed to be fifteen or sixteen but was actually nineteen. He was also younger brother of Miao Shisan who accompanied Ling Zhang to the trading center to check the store on that day. Both of the two brothers were Yuwen Tong's personal bodyguards.

Yuwen Tong had eighteen personal bodyguards in total, whom outsiders called "the Eighteen Guards". Everyone of them was kung fu expert. When on the battleground, they were also valiant and well-trained soldiers. Currently there were fourteen of them around Yuwen Tong, the other four staying in border areas. They were also Yuwen Tong's most trusted subordinates.

Since Ling Zhang was going to study in the Imperial College, Yuwen Tong had had Miao Shiba disguise himself as Ling Zhang's study-servant to provide protection.

Miao Shiba looked even thinner than Ling Zhang, which was why even Yuwen Jin didn't suspect his identity.

Students who had come to the capital city from other parts of the country to study in the Imperial College lived on campus. Those who were locals, in the normal course of events, would choose to live at home. As a result, when Ling Zhang and Yuwen Jin arrived at the Imperial College, there were a lot of horse-drawn carriages parked on the broad level ground in front of the gateway of the college. The time they arrived was still relatively late, so they had to hastily find a vacant lot and parked their carriage.

The two of them got out of their carriage. Before they came, they had changed into Confucian scholar's robes which were the same as what other students were wearing, so they didn't attract anybody's attention.

Miao Shiba and Yuwen Jin's study-servant named Changle closely followed in the wake of Ling Zhang and Yuwen Jin.

Right at this moment, there was a disturbance at the front gate. A gorgeous broad horse-drawn carriage drove up. There were some other resplendent horse-drawn carriages parked on the open space, but none of them was as magnificent as this one. Besides, this horse-drawn carriage was escorted by a team of guards, which was even more ostentatious than an official on his way to a court meeting.

"Pooh, will we never be rid of him?" Yuwen Jin's face darkened as soon as his eye fell on that carriage.

After a brief moment's pondering, Ling Zhang queried, "Jiang Yu?"

"Who else could be so flaunty other than him? This guy's only too anxious to have the whole world know who he is," sniffed Yuwen Jin.

That horse-drawn carriage came to a halt precisely at the gateway of the Imperial College, and the team of guards also blocked the path of students on the open space. Ling Zhang and Yuwen Jin, who had just got out of their carriage, hadn't had the time to enter and thus their path was also blocked.

Ling Zhang observed that a lot of students hastened to make way for that carriage as they saw it. There were also some who specially walked closer to look on. Some others furrowed their brows at the sight of the horse-drawn carriage and then strode away without a backward glance.

"Those who made way were trying to avoid offending Jiang Yu or Jiang family; those who stepped closer to look on are either on good terms with Jiang family or want to curry favor with Jiang Yu; most of those who swaggered off are ill-disposed towards Jiang family."