Chapter 457- 459

Chapter 457: An Underground Vault

Ling Zhang was bemused. His father had told him that in his last life, after Zhu You and Wang Xiangxin died, furious Jiangzhou residents had poured into Zhu You's residence and ransacked it, that they'd found huge amounts of money in a storeroom of the Zhu family and carved it up.

However, given how well concealed this secret storeroom was, those Jiangzhou residents must be amazingly observant to have found it. Even his twenty-four bodyguards had searched for quite a long time before locating a spot which was presumably the entrance to an underground space, and they hadn't even found the control switch yet.

Clearly Yuwen Tong had also thought of this issue, but it'd been in Ling Zhaowu's last life that that thing had happened. As it had never happened in this life of his, so there was no way to ascertain the truth. They could only wait until they returned to the capital city to ask Ling Zhaowu about it.

"There's a faint breeze blowing through this crack." Ling Zhang crouched down and scrutinized that patch of floor. The floor of this book chamber was neatly paved with tiles, and the patch near the foot of that wall was no exception. Neat as those tiles were, there were still gaps between them, through which breeze was blowing. "There's definitely a large space down there."

"These tiles are quite level. Nobody would be able to find anything out of the ordinary about them unless they look carefully. The control switch is not on the floor. I think it's somewhere nearby," observed Yuwen Tong.

Wang Dashan and the others were scrupulously checking each and every single one of the furnishings in the chamber. They even moved all the books to see what was beneath them.

"Got it."

The speaker was Liu Yi, who was standing beside a desk. It was the lampstand on the desk that he'd touched. The lampstand was fairly special. It'd been inlaid into the surface of the desk. This kind of lampstands were not really rare. Actually they were commonly seen in places like studies, because lamps placed on this kind of lampstands wouldn't be blown over by wind, so owners of the studies didn't have to worry about their books being burnt by fire. Therefore, none of the searchers had suspected anything when they'd first clapped eyes on the lampstand inlaid in the surface of the desk. When Liu Yi had crouched down to check the desk, he'd discovered a small iron ring attached to the bottom of the desk. It was directly below the position of the lampstand on the desk. As he pulled the ring, he heard a movement from the lampstand on the desk. He hurriedly stood up to move it only to find that the lampstand, which he hadn't been able to turn a moment before, was now rotatable.

Ling Zhang walked up to him with Yuwen Tong, took a look at it and then said, "Turn it."

Liu Yi nodded and turned the lampstand and with that faint clicks came from somewhere in the book chamber.

On the heels of the clicks was a muffled, dull sound of tiles moving. It was from none other than the patch of floor that they'd found a short while before. The whole patch near the foot of the wall were edging beneath the wall bit by bit, revealing an entrance about a square meters in size. Where the daylight touched, a quite steep flight of stairs leading all the way down could be seen.

Ling Zhang was thrilled. "What needs to be done next is to find out if this is where the money is."

"Young Master, please let us go inside to check out the lay of the land first in case there are any dangers down there," suggested Liu Yi.

"Be careful," said Ling Zhang.

Liu Yi inclined his head, produced a little paper roll an end of which was still glowing, blew at it and a small flame popped out of its glowing end. Then he started to descend the steep stairs leading underground, followed by Wang Dashan.