Chapter 418- 420

Chapter 418: An After-Wedding Visit to the Ling Family (2)

Just as Yuwen Tong had expected, when the two of them met the Ling family, Ling Xingzhong and some others observed that Ling Maomao had put on some weight during his several-day stay in the palace at the sight of the little boy. On hearing their remarks, Ling Zhang couldn't help but pull a wry face.

This time around, apart from paying an after-wedding visit to his family, Ling Zhang had come here mainly to check on Ling Zhaowen's preparations for his journey and see if there was anything he could do to help.

"Don't worry. It's all taken care of. I'm your uncle, an adult, remember? I'm totally capable of handling this kind of stuff."

Though Ling Zhaowen said these words in a seemingly disapproving tone, there was smile on his face all along. It was obvious that his nephew's solicitude for him gladdened his heart. Standing on the side, Ling Zhaowu, who was Ling Zhang's natural father, actually felt a little jealous at the sight of this. Ling Zhaowen noticed it but made no effort to restrain himself. He even deliberately chuckled in the presence of his big brother.

Ling Zhaowu, "..."

He might really beat Ling Zhaowen up were the latter not his little brother.

Ling Zhaowen's baggage had indeed been prepared some time before. Steward He and Li Fu would go to Shengzhou with him. The former would act as the butler, and the latter a personal servant. Aside from them, two secret bodyguards of Yuwen Tong's would also be accompanying them. As Shengzhou was under Yuwen Tong's complete control, for the moment there was no need to worry about Ling Zhaowen's safety in that city.

Before lunch, Ling Zhaowen called Ling Zhang in to have an uncle-nephew talk with him in private.

"I'll depart the day after tomorrow. All necessary arrangements have been made for things in this house to be handled, so you don't have to concern yourself about anything. Your father's here, and nothing could go wrong under his watch."

When Ling Zhaowen made the last remark, his tone was imbued with his absolute trust in his big brother. On hearing this, Ling Zhang cast him another look, wondering if his uncle had perceived something, for there seemed to some kind of undertone in his words.

Unsurprisingly, Ling Zhaowen, after saying that, glanced at Ling Zhang and continued, "There's no doubt your father has been through quite some hardships. I could tell that things between you two have become a lot more natural recently, so I think it's safe to say you've made peace with the past. It's a pretty good thing. I have complete peace of mind now."

"Uncle Zhaowen..." Words failed Ling Zhang. Previously he'd never kept anything from his uncle, but afterward, secrets about him had seemed to pile up, and he didn't know how to explain any of them to his uncle. Now, after hearing these words of Ling Zhaowen's, Ling Zhang felt rather upset, wondering if he was doing the wrong thing.

Ling Zhaowen, who knew his nephew just as well as he did his own son, could divine what his nephew was thinking just by looking at him, so he hurriedly raised his hand to stop his nephew from overthinking it. "I'm not saying that you did something wrong. I'm really very happy to see that you and your father have let go of those things. I've watched you grow up, and your father is my blood brother. You two being okay means the world to me."

Ling Zhang gave a bob of the head. "Um."

Ling Zhaowen put his hand down and smiled, "Good boy."

Ling Zhang was somewhat embarrassed by this compliment from his uncle. Seldom had his uncle praised him this way since he'd reached adulthood.